We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with my 85 year old mother

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indian Wells
Level Contributor
38 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with my 85 year old mother

We plan to visit Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai in Early April 2013 for 5 days. My mother does well and can last a day if she can rest a little not go go and lots of walking. Walking short distances is not a problem but I am a little worried about the heat and humidity. How bad is it that time of year? She loves pretty things like gardens and enjoys rafting if comfortable and smooth.

First of all we would like advice to which place to spend more time? Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai? I heard so many good things about Chiang Rai area as I am not much of a touristy person or wanting to do cooking schools. But I saw that in Chiang Mai they do the elephants and there is a garden there my mother may like plus it is a beautiful drive from Chiang Rai.

Places that interest me are: White Temple, Doi Thung, Lahu Village, Wat Rong Khun, Black house, rafting, elephants, wildlife and seeing the countryside. I would like to experience elephants so maybe my mother could sit and wait somewhere comfortable if there is such a place. But mainly we want to do things together.

Which of these would make a good tour for my mother and I?

Any other ideas?

Also lodging recommendations that have fairly soft beds for my mother and A/C if needed? Does not have to be fancy just clean and comfortable as we plan to be gone most the day. Convenient for any night activities would be nice if there is some.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with my 85 year old mother

Chiang Rai and further north certainly offers every thing you are looking for in your trip...elephants, the beautiful gardens at Doi Tung, the White Temple, rafting, great countryside etc. There are small restaurants in Ruammit (where the elephants are located) where your Mom can wait. There is also an elephant camp at Anantara (5 star resort in Sop Ruak, near the Golden Triangle) that has extraordinarily comfortable surroundings for your Mom to enjoy while you ride an elephant.

But, early April is going to be hot. It won't be as hot as Bangkok and not quite as hot as Chiang Mai (but close to it). March and April are hot in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai as there is little rain.

Baan Nattawadee has good beds and air conditioning and is a 3 star hotel with great staff. Baan Soontree gets good reviews on TA but I am not certain if they have air conditioning. I'd suggest looking at the reviews on TA for that hotel. Both are in the same price range.

Safe Travels,

Broder

2. Re: Traveling with my 85 year old mother

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 14, 2013