We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Hi all:

I receive a lot of p.m.s and questions regarding the reasonable cost of certain tours in the Chiang Rai area, as well as inquiries on the cost of certain tourist sites. I thought I'd compile the cost of what we paid in late June/early July 2012 so that others could benefit in planning their trips. These costs may vary depending on the guide or driver you use. These were current during our last trip for an experienced guide with excellent English.

Guide for a day: 700 to 800 baht per day for guide only.

Driver for a day (non or limited English speaking generally): 300 baht per day.

Day trip from Chiang Rai to Doi Tung: full day trip = 2,800 baht if you have a separate guide and a driver; 2,500 baht if your guide is also the driver. This is for a van so the cost is the same whether you have two people or six people.

Day trip from Chiang Rai to Golden Triangle: full day trip = 2,900 baht if you have a separate guide and a driver; 2,600 baht if your guide is also the driver. This is for a van so the cost is the same whether you have two people or six people.

Day trip from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai (which is the Thailand side of the Burma border crossing): full day trip = 2,800 baht if you have a separate guide and a driver; 2,500 baht if your guide is also the driver. This is for a van so the cost is the same whether you have two people or six people.

Day trip from Chiang Rai to Chiang Saen: full day trip = 2,900 baht if you have a separate guide and a driver; 2,500 baht if your guide is also the driver. This is for a van so the cost is the same whether you have two people or six people.

Day or overnight trip from Chiang Rai to Mae Salong: 2,900 baht if you have a separate guide and driver; 2,600 baht if your guide is also the driver. This is for a van so the cost is the same whether you have two people or six people. If you stay at a hotel that does not provide a room for a guide (many do) then the cost for the guide/driver's room would be added to this.

A trip from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai: 2,600 to 3,000 baht. The lower price is generally if you are hiring a Chiang Rai guide and you ask him or her to come pick you up in Chiang Mai or are asking him/her to return you to Chiang Mai.

Long tail boat ride from Chiang Rai to Ruammit = one way 600 to 700 baht; round trip is 700 baht (as the boat has to go back anyway). 50 baht tip recommended. Eight people can fit in the boat, including the boat driver.

Elephant ride in Ruammit = 500 baht for one hour; 600 baht for 1.5 hour through the jungle.

Raft trip down the MeKok (includes pick up and return to Chiang Rai hotel, water, wet towels, lunch cooked on the raft, fruit, drinks, soft drinks, the 2 boat men, trucks and drivers to launch the raft, the guide and a cook/assistant): 2 people @ 2,500 baht each (5,000 baht total);

3 people @ 1,800 baht each

4 people @ 1,400 baht each

White Temple: Free

Black Artist Compound: Free

Opium Museum In Sob Ruak – 50 baht.

Hall of Opium in Sob Ruak – 200 baht

Long tail boat at the Golden Triangle from Sob Ruak to Chiang Saen: 600 baht w/dock fees per boat. Boat holds six people, including the driver.

Large boat at the Golden Triangle from Sob Ruak to Chiang Saen: 1,500 baht per boat and it seats 10 (this has a cover to protect from the sun).

Dock fees if your boat from the Golden Triangle stops at the Island in Laos: 20 baht for each person.

Burma border crossing: 500 baht. As of July 2012 the border crossing guards indicated they will no longer accept 10 USD but they have went back and forth on that over the years.

Doi Tung (Mae Fah Gardens): 90 baht to visit the King’s Mother’s villa; 90 baht for the garden; 50 baht for Inspiration Hall (half price if you have a student ID or are 60 years and older).

Hope this is helpful in your planning,

Broder

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Thanks Broder, great info, hopfully the DE's here will make it a sticky.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Thanks Broder -- great information.

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,375 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Thanks Broder for compiling. Definitely useful and should be listed under Top Questions.

Tommo

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Thanks all.

I should clarify that all of the day trips I described above include water and fresh cold towels, but do not include lunch, except for the raft trip, for which I listed all the inclusions. The day trips (except the raft trip) include the cost of the van, the fuel, the guide and where noted, the driver. The day trips do not include activity fees (except the raft trip), such as riding an elephant or taking a boat ride, but those costs are also included in the post so you should be able to add those that apply to your trip on to any of the above day trip costs to figure out if the quote you obtain is reasonable. That should assist people in comparing "apples to apples" when they obtain costs.

@Chrella and Tommo: I am the DE for Chiang Rai and when I created the post, I created an FAQ for it, which is now the fourth FAQ on the list in this forum. I like the FAQ's better than sticky notes, so hopefully we can all direct new posters to the FAQ when they request this information.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Great information, thank you Broder.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Thks for this, appreciate it!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Great info Broder. I am so looking forward to our first visit to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mail - counting down the weeks.

Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
333 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

thanks most excellant

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

Your info is exactly what I've been wanting to know. Thanks very much, Broder

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broder's Cost Chart Re: Chiang Rai area tours/sites

You are most welcome. I am glad it is helpful to some other travelers.

Broder