We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

My first day in Chiang Rai will be on my own, and then the next 2 days with a guide travelling, but that first day, I want to see the White Temple and other places in and around the town. How would I get out to White Temple, for example. Just flag down a tuktuk? and do I negotiate a rate with the driver or is there a set fee to get out there and back?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Its been a while since I was in Chiangrai, but the usual situation with songtaews is that if you want one to yourself and are going off the normal bus-type route, then you'll need to haggle with the driver for the length of time and the fare. The White Temple is a bit outside the town.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

I'm note sure that tuk tuk's would go as far as the white temple, as bbtony says it's quite a bit out of town. Maybe your accommodation can organise a private car or taxi to take you. We actually visited the White Temple en route to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai which worked out well as our guide/driver stopped there and the hot springs on the journey between the two.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Thank you both for your input. I will be taking the VIP green (?) bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and arriving there around noon on a Saturday. I don't have a hotel booked yet - any suggestions? I've read about the Starbright - very central, nothing fancy, which is okay as long as it's clean, but apparently it is undergoing renovations and I don't know when they'll be finished. I did email them a couple of weeks ago but heard nothing back... Then there's the Wiang Inn Hotel, also central, but some reviews weren't very positive, so I don't know where to stay at this point. I'm not into fancy resorts and would prefer something in the center of things - close to the Saturday Night Walking Market; it'll only be for the night and then I'm leaving early the next day to go to Mae Salong and points of interest along the way...

If I negotiate with a songthaew driver and he gives me a price out to White Temple and back, I'll have no idea if it's reasonable or not. If anyone knows what a good price for transport out to the temple and back would be, pls let me know. I have heard that the White Temple is about a 15 minute drive from CR. And of course, if I do manage to book a hotel before I arrive, I will ask them if they can arrange a driver or a taxi for me.

Edited: 10:10 pm, July 18, 2012
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

We stayed at Lek House, definitely nothing fancy and the pool quality was questionable, but the lovely family who own and run it more than made up for any deficiencies with their lovely, friendly manner and assistance. The second night I got quite ill and they were kind enough to bring me tea and toast as I couldn't make it out. They are about a 10-15 minutes walk from the night market, so not the most central, but still ok (well it must be if our children managed the walk).

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Thanks, Cassnu.... I'll check out Lek House. I like the idea of having a friendly family running it, and probably wouldn't use the pool during my short stay, so no problem there. I don't have great knees for long walks, but 10 - 15 minutes would be okay... I'll have a look at it.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

We recently stayed in the Bann Bua Homestay Chiang Rai (no pool, 600 and 700 pn) you say it doesn't have to be fancy just clean, well thats probably a good description of this place.

Along with central and an easy walk to all the attractions you'll want to see.

The White Temple is around 15 minutes out of town, a tut tuk will go anywhere if the price is right. To me about 200 would be a starting point to take you there and wait for an hour then back to the hotel.

There were a couple of girls we, the cook and I were talking to one night that weren't that thrilled with the hotel you mentioned.

Edited: 11:17 pm, July 18, 2012
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Hi Inaspin, which hotel was it? I mentioned Wiang Inn Hotel and the Starbrighht Hotel in one of my posts. Wiang Inn Hotel is probably the one. Starbright is under renovations at present.

I've been online for over an hour now looking at places to stay in Chiang Rai. I checked out the Lek House, but was hoping for something more central, and then I found Baan Nattawadee Guest house and read the reviews and it sounds really good - it is out of town but quiet and great service, very local Thai place that appeals to me. Great Thai food there as well.

But I'll still check out suggestions that come my way on this thread - haven't made any hotel decisions yet.

I will google Baan Bua Homestay and have a look. Thanks for the suggestion, also for the rate to get transport to White Temple and back... I like to haggle - it's fun and I keep it light - not too attached to "getting the best rate" but I don't like to be taken advantage of either... sometimes it's hard to tell! Hope all is going well with you...

I finally nailed down my itinerary with Jermsak - Bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, stay overnight, meet up with J in the morning - spend that day travelling to Mae Salong , stopping at various places along the way - Doi Tung, Royal Villa and Gardens, "Elephant Lying View" (Chiang Mut) - border between Burma and Thailand top of mountain - great drive! and other places. Stay one night in Mae Salong. Next day, Mae Salong Market at 6:30 am (!), travel to Thaton and see Wat Tha Ton and surrounding area (gave up on the boat trip!), couldn't make it fit in...; then on to Chiang Dao to spend a few hours and then back to Chiang Mai - that will be be a good day! Feel relieved to finally have that part of my trip in place!

Edited: 3:07 am, July 19, 2012
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Sounds like a plan.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

Hi Inaspin,

I did contact Baan Bua Homestay and heard back from them this morning - it is very central and I think I may stay there as it is the most convenient and rate is very cheap.

Do you know points of interest to see in the Chiang Dao and/or Thaton areas? Jermsak has been asking me by email, what I want to see and do, but it's hard for me to tell him, as I don't know the area and what's available...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to and from various sites in Chiang Rai..

It you haven't decided on Baan Bua Homestay - I can throw in one other suggestion. We stayed at Baan Soontree in April and loved it. Their web page is partly in Thai, so we looked at it on agoda.com

The rooms are around 35US a night - very nice pool and breakfast served around the pool.

Spacious bungalows.

It is about 3 - 5 mins from the centre of town in a tuk tuk.

Caroline.