We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hi from Chiang Rai!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,001 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
hi from Chiang Rai!

Greetings from Chiang Rai! We came up this morning on the Green VIP bus and were met at the bus station by Surasak and Mon... The El Shadai orphanage pparent's and their new baby girl Suvimon. It was wonderful to have their smiling faces there waiting. We have checked into Baan Soontree. It's a really nice place... Only small but a lovely feel about it. There's a nice pool surrounded by two story bungalows. We had lunch in their little restaurant and are now waiting for Jermsak to pick us up to go to El Shadai. We're really excited to be going back.

We've got a whole heap of activities planned including making a huge banner covered in felt flowers. The children will assemble it by sticking and placing the flowers on. A friend has also made s huge banner with El Shadai on i and images of the children. It is stunning. I cant wait to give it to them....

Caroline.

Friends of.ours have

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Hey millsie, I'm exhausted just thinking about a 50k bike ride, the only way I would even attempt something like this would be in the back of a cyclo.

The idea of a thunder storm sounds so refreshing to me.

The early morning day markets in town are fun, so much to see. We love your updates, please keep them coming.

You and the boy have fun.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Hey C, hopefully you'll be able to answer one of my many questions about the raft trip this evening.

I know your driven up stream for a while, when the raft is assembled it's all aboard for the down river ride.

This is the part I'm looking forward to the most I think, the floating part. Watching the scenery drifting by without the annoying hum of any machinery propelling us down stream. At the same time lunch is being prepared on board.

My question is............ should I have the chicken or the fish?

Have fun

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Oh, so much going on in the CR forum while I was a work today!

Caroline, lovely to see your post and know you are in Chiang Rai. I can't wait to see the banner you made, when we visit in June. It sounds beautiful. Isn't the baby at El Shadai gorgeous? And yes, El Shadai has been much improved with the assistance of so many TA forum members over the years. Hope you have a great time on the raft trip tomorrow. My best to Jermsak.

Millsie, loved your post. Thanks for keeping us informed about your trip. The bike ride sounds great.

Inaspin, I've had both the chicken and the fish while on the raft trip. My suggestion, ask JL for both...you know he'll provide it!

Safe Travels,

Broder

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

inaspin, the leg massage hurt more than the bike ride but the results were just what the doctor ordered.

I do a bit of bike riding at home but absolutely no hills out where we live. My son is always on his bike so it was a great way for him to burn some energy.

We always look for a more mature lady for the foot and leg massage as after Cambodia and Vietnam in our last two trips we find the younger girls just don't have the same skill as some of the more mature ladies.

However in saying that when we travelled to Cambodia a couple of years ago the young girl told my son to come back when he was a bit older and sshe give him happy ending.... He was 12 at the time so I had to explain what she meant. Bit of a joke this time, he is older.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,001 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Millsie glad you are having fun. Wasn't today glorious. Clear blue sky and everything green. Inaspin you are in fir a massive treat. I have just posted more back on the CM forum. The raft trip is one of the best day trips we have ever done. It is just awesome.

I said hi to jermsak from you. He commented about how bl**dy demanding you are. (joking!!!). As if. I mean he might think it but he wouldn't say it. ;-)

The visit to El Shadai was very moving and inspiring. I will post a full report when we get home. Broder I will email you a heap of photos as well.

We also went up Buffalo Hill to look at the view. No haze! No smoke! Wonderful view.

Wished I could have been there for the market tonight.... Next time.

C.

Edited: 11:39 am, April 07, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Yes today was just sensational after more rain overnight. Chang Mai will need to be left till next trip. This trip is really about getting into Laos and meeting up with a young friend of ours who we have not seen for sometime.. She has been working in Cambodia and has just finished her contract and will travel into Laos and Vietnam before heading home to Germany.

We were lucky enough to have this lovely young girl be part of our family whilst she was in Australia on an exchange programme during her high school years.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

Caroline, I just can't wait to see the pictures from El Shadai. A day at the orphanage is always a moving and inspiring one. What a wonderful way to spend Easter weekend.

And the raft trip...I am glad you finally were able to make the raft trip. Ever since Jermsak built that raft, a day floating down the Mae Kok on it has been my most favorite day trip. It is pure heaven. It just doesn't get any better.

The view from Buffalo HIll is fabulous. Not many people get up there, so I am glad to see you made it.

Have a great time back in Chiang Mai.

Inaspin is up next...then me in June.

Millie, I hope you have enjoyed your time in Chiang Rai. ave a great trip to Laos.

Broder

18. Re: hi from Chiang Rai!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, June 19, 2013