We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ahka Hill House - Trekking

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ahka Hill House - Trekking

Hi,

We are planning on doing a 3 day/2 night trek with the Ahka Hill tribe at Ahka Hill House soon. We decided to go with them because th itinerary offered appeals to us. See here: http://www.akhahill.com/3days2nights.htm

I have read some of the reviews that are available on TA but i'm just wondering if anybody this forum could give us their opinion/feedback on the Ahka Hill House.

Kind Regards,

Gary

New Mexico
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ahka Hill House - Trekking

This may be too late for you but maybe others will find it of interest. First I will say we found our stay at the Ahka Hill House to be an amazingly wonderful experience. Now I will try to give some specifics. Even the negative comments I will make do not in anyway over ride the positive feeling I have about the experience.

We had some trouble conecting with our ride to the Ahka Hill House at the Chaing Rai bus station but after several phone calls we finally made connection. The transport is a pickup truck with rails on the back. There is room for 2 or 3 passengers in the truck. There was an older gentleman and a mom and baby in the truck so as a 59 yr. old woman I got the back. I loved it! It was a rather long , very adventurous ride. You'd pay quite a bit for a similar adventure at Disney World.

When we arrived at the resort we did not have the room my son had reserved but he talked to the manager and we were given one more to our liking. Having read on this board that the manager could be rude I asked my son and he said he would describe him more as busy than rude.

Our room had twin beds. They were comfortable enough. We had a large window that overlooked a beautiful valley, but since there was a large lizard right above the window catching bugs we took advantage of the Air con at night. The room was clean but maybe a bit musty. The bathroom was OK but a bit rough. Our private patio had a bamboo floor that tended to shift so we had to be careful where we put our chairs, but the veiw and sounds were fantastic!

There was a large covered area over looking thesame valley where all the guests gathered. You wrote your food order in a book and took it to the kitchen to order food. There was a fridge with beer and drinks that you get on the honor system.Tthe food was very tasty and quite inexpensive---50baht for a meal. The staff was very friendly.

One of the highlights was visiting with the other guests. 8 different nationalities were represented. We were the only Americans. What a treat. Everyone was very interesting and friendly.

We went on a great one day trek with our guide Achaeu. He was another highlight. He speaks quite good english and was so interesting. Even though the hike was a little too tough for me Achaeu was very patient and I wouldn't have missed a minute of it! Our hike ended at a beautiful waterfall that is a short distance fron the Hill House.

I know this is long but i hope it will help anyone trying to decide wheather to visit the Hill House. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Salley

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ahka Hill House - Trekking

Salley:

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. This is the most comprehensive review I have seen of the Ahka House trekking experience and I am sure it will be of great help to other travelers.

Much appreciated,

Broder

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ahka Hill House - Trekking

Salley.....thanks for this report. Very comprehensive. Glad you enjoyed your time here. Marie (nannyre)

4. Re: Ahka Hill House - Trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 01, 2011