We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Any info on the Laluna Resort?

I'm still trying to get to grips with a reasonable hotel in CR for our visit later this year. I've discarded the Legend as it seems that it, like many other hotels in Chiang Rai has mosquito problems.

The mosquitos don't bother me, but boy, do they love eating my wife!

Looking on the TA site it would seem that the Laluna Resort gets mostly good reviews.

Has anyone stayed there, if so, is it OK?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

I like the Laluna, you get value for money there. It's 3 star in service and standards, large rooms, room for two in the shower, and the pool is large and inviting.

Can't remember if you said you were self driving, which would be handy or tuk tuk's do tend to loiter in the car park @ 50THB (give or take) for a lift into the centre.

If you look at the google map they've misplaced it, it's actually 100 meters north of the "northern end" of the old airport.

The marker here is the street entrance to the carpark;

http://tiny.cc/laluna

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Exchef:

I think Caroline08Australia, one of the DE's on the Chiang Mai forum, also stayed at Laluna last year. You might want to connect with her.

I do not have personal information on Laluna but one TA member sent me a p.m. stating that the hotel did not allow guests to bring in any alcohol or food to their rooms so you might want to check that out with Fourb2 or Caroline08Australia.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

I've read those comments about restrictions too, but it doesn't accord with my experience in three separate stays there (the last being June 09). At least as far as ice, coke, bourbon and some snacks taken past reception on the way back to my room.

I would have been shocked if they'd pulled me up, then I would have ignored them with a smile and kept walking I suspect.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

I resent restrictions being placed upon my freedom to choose by any entity. Therefore I will give the Laluna a big miss. Looks as if its back to the drawing boards.

Chiang Rai does seem to have some rather tatty accommodation options, particularly when compared to the rest of Thailand.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Exchef:

Have you taken a look at Le Meridien? Is it too far out of town for you? I can't remember if you had already obtained information on it. It is about a 10 minute drive from town and is beautiful.

If your budget is for less, have you checked out Star Bright? No pool, but in town, has a spa, priced well and right by the night market. Nice wine list for a small hotel (only 8 rooms) and very good rooms.

Hope that helps a bit,

Broder

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Hi Broder;

I've looked at the Le Meridien site and it is outside my budget that I have set for the North Thailand leg of the trip.

As you know, there are other things that I want to do in CR.

I've been looking at the River House Resort which seems quite nice and just fits inside the budget figure.

Additionally, they will pick you up and drop you back at the CR Airport as well as free car shuttles into the city and to the night market.

However, the only reviews that I can find are one pertaining to 2009 and a few for 2008

Has any one on the forum stayed there recently? Can any one give me the heads up on this place?

It seems that just about every place I've selected thus far has had restrictions imposed by the hotel, has mosquito problems or it has hit and miss reviews which hardly inspires booking with any confidence.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Broder, do you have the link for Star Bright? I cant seem to find it.

Thanks

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Hello Kimmy 80,

There you go http://www.starbright-hotel.com/

I'm staying at the Laluna,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

Thanks so much Inaspin

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any info on the Laluna Resort?

We stayed at Laluna a few years ago and unfortunately didn't like it at all. The rooms are big and clean but with very few facilities, particularly, no electric sockets to plug in electric mosquito repellants and the hardest bed we've ever slept in! All beds in Asia tend to be hard but the one at Laluna was like throwing a sheet over concrete.