We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

Hi guys

well i am in the planning stages of my next trip to thailand planned for oct/nov 2010...

I have previously been to Chiang Mai and loved it.. and will be going back.. but this time i am looking at adding a trip to CR on..

currently i am looking at 3 nights in CR..

From my research so far.. i am looking at booking a guide for 2 days touring.. and from what i can see most of this is outside CR.. eg golden triangle, white temple,

leaving one day for just hanging round CR and checking out town..

i am looking for accomodation that...

is in walking distance to some local restaurants..

has a pool

has a good breakfast..

:)

love good value for $$ :)

second part of this post is ... what is your must do in CR? what shouldnt be missed?

Cheers

Chelle

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

Hi Chelle,

We actually enjoyed our second trip to CM better than our first and I'm sure you will too. Remember that Loy Krathong is celebrated in November so do try and coincide your trip with the festival.

In CR we hired Jermsak for a day and really enjoyed our day with him. His knowledge and level of service is outstanding.

White Temple...awesome and just a few Ks (10 or so) from town.

Saturday night market...great, similar to CMs Sunday walking street market.

We have some pics, maps and stories of our recent trip to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai below.

www.bobandjanette.com

Happy and safe travels

Bob

PS I'll let others comment on hotels as we didn't have a pool

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

Hi Chelle

Your plan of 2 days with a guide and one day to explore the town of Chiang Rai sounds like a good one. You might want to take one day and go up to the Golden Triangle and cross over into Burma and also take the long tail boat ride to Laos. If you are interested in the monkeys, you can stop on the way from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai (border town), as it is along the route. If you enjoy coffee and tea, you might want to also head over to Mae Salong to the coffee/tea plantation, although for me, it makes too long of a day to go to Mae Salong in the same trip as the Golden Triangle.

The Golden Triangle itself isn't that much to see, just a spot with a sign, but going into Burma and into the local markets is fun and I always enjoy spending some time in the small town of Sob Ruck, which is where the Golden Triangle is located. It is fun to be able to say you were in three countries in one day and I get a Burma passport stamp in your passport.

Lots of folks like to go up to the Queen Mother's project just north of Sob Ruck, which has some great gardens, small restaurants/art gallery (very remote type) etc.

The White Temple is definitely a "do not miss" item on the Chiang Rai itinerary.

If you are interested in local culture, I'd have the guide take you to some local hilltribes (versus the touristy ones that put on shows etc.). We also enjoy going to Raummit, a local karen village with an elephant camp that is about a 45 minute boat ride from Chiang Rai, has access to some local hilltribes, a nice hike to a waterfall where you can swim, a pretty cool remote jungle restaurant etc.

As for guides, I have always used Jermsak and he remains my first choice. If you enter his name in the search portion of this forum, at the top of the page, you'll get a lot of results from fellow TA members who have used and reviewed his service. He is amazing and a genuinely good and honest person who was raised in a local hilltribe and has signficant knowledge of the area. I've used a lot of guides around the world and he remains in my "top two" list.

Hotels: One with a pool that is close to town is a bit more of a challenge. Le Meridien is of course the 5 star choice and it is about a 10 minute ride from town. The pool is beautiful but I'm not sure if this is in your budget. If you give us an idea of your budget we can probably give you more ideas. However, I am not aware of any hotels in town that have a pool and good TA reviews.

Hotels without a pool that have good reviews are Palm Garden, but it is a 2 km walk to town (quick tuk tuk ride). We are staying at Star Bright in April, but it has no pool (is right in town though). The North hotel is in town but has no pool and very mixed reviews on TA. Naga Hill has a pool and does have some local university restaurants not far from it, but it is a good 20 minute ride to town. Maybe others on TA will have better ideas for you on a hotel with a pool. Check out my post on this forum on "Broder's Hotel Reviews/Tours"

Enjoy and let us know if you have more questions.

Broder

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

Hi there is the Mantrini Boutique Hotel which has a pool.

Cheers,

Stewie.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

thanks guys for the replies i will check them out..

Being a short tuk tuk ride from town wouldnt be bad.. it is really mainly so we had options for dinner other than eating at the hotel..

I have been planning things and this is what i am looking at ..

Early bus from CM to CR which from what i can find gets into CR early arvo..

spend the rest of the day checking out town...

Day 2 - spend with guide.. have already emailed Jermsak.. son wants to do the three countires in one day.. lol.. and I want to do the white temple.. he is keen to see monkeys too..

Day 3 - hilltribes ect.. general guided touring.. and get back to meet the late arvo bus.. think there is one that leaves bout 4-5pm.. back to CM for a few more days.. which if i change my dates as i am leaning to will be there for Loy Krathong! Yep Bob you reminded me how much i loved it last time!

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

I have the best budget hotel for you in CR but you would have to ask me REALLY nicely and Im not sure you have that in you!!!!

Oh and I have some great recommendations such as the night markets and some kickass cafes/restaurants!! All you have to do is ask nicely Miss!

xx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

ohhhhh pleeeeease reety!!

see i do have niceness is me!! and hugs and kisses if needed... lol

Do tell me.. ??

thanks hun xx

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

nope not nice enough! see u on facebook for a big chat xxx

8. Re: chiang Rai accomodation and questions..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2010