We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or drive Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai?

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Fly or drive Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai?

We are considering flying from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai. Is it worth taking the Green VIP bus to enjoy the scenery? Would a private driver take us through more scenic areas, or should we just fly? Thanks! TAMChicago

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or drive Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai?

Hi Tam:

Any of the options are really going to be good. I haven't taken the VIP bus myself but others on this forum have had very good reports about it, finding the bus very comfortable, spacious and with good service. I do think though that you have to wait to book until you arrive, unless you speak Thai, as I think their website is all in Thai. Is that correct you VIP Green bus travelers? If you have specific other questions about the Green VIP bus you might want to p.m. Caroline08Australia as she is an expert on this bus.

I have done both the flight between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai and the private driver option. The private driver option was interesting and scenic for me the first time. After that, I've slept through parts of it. The flight is short and their is not a lot of wait time in either airport, as they are pretty small, but you still have to arrive 45 minutes or so before the flight from Chiang Rai.

Enjoy and Safe Travels,

Broder

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or drive Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai?

It depends on what you would like to see going to Chiang Mai.

There is the White temple to see on the way to Chiang mai if you have not seen it.

There is also Hot Springs, Tiger Kingdom, Elephant Shows, Umbrella and Paper making, just to name a few.on the way to Chiang Mai.

Or you can take the bus and see some of the above when you get to Chiang Mai and take a private tour to all of the above.

Cost wise you would be better to get the bus it inly cost me 130 baht for a Air conditioned bus, as i went to Chiang Mai Chiang Rai return.

Then it would cost you up to 1400 Baht for a day with a taxi.

The costs i beleive is up to 5000 for a taxi to take you to Chiang Mai, but the taxi has to go back to Chiang Rai empty unless he can get a fare back.

I hope this has been of some help.

Ed

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or drive Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai?

Hi TAM:

Just thought I'd add to edwinlizard's post, that another TA member, just told me she got a quote of 3,800 for a private van from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai. Comparing that to the price of the bus and considering what stops you might want to make along the way might help you make a decision.

Broder

4. Re: Fly or drive Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, May 15, 2010