We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Triangle Trip Report

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Triangle Trip Report

Spent 6 wonderful nights at the Anantara in the Golden Triangle and enjoyed a mix of relaxation, fun and culture.

We had 2 days out with Jermsak and his driver the lovely Mrs Air who was always ready with cold towels and water when we got back to the car. Our first day started with a visit to the Monkey cave, 2 females with babies came down to be fed peanuts, it’s quite fun but I would not have wanted to drive miles for the experience, but as we were driving by, no problem. Then on to Doi Tung and the Queen Mothers house and gardens which were beautiful and interesting. Next we visited to the Mae Salong Tea Plantation and while the heavens opened sampled several teas. We then stopped for lunch at a Chinese village where I tried black chicken soup (delicious) We then called at 2 hill tribes, the first Jermsak had a bag of clothing and toys from an Australian Family that he handed out to the delight of the people. The second was more geared for visitors having several stalls set out with their handmade produce and we found cushion covers and a throw that are a perfect match for our lounge.

For the second trip we crossed into Burma, we were glad again to have a guide who could explain the procedure. We hired a tuc tuc and headed for the local market an education to see the ladies with their powdered faces and an eye opener at some of the ‘food’ on sale – not for anyone with a delicate stomach! We drove for into the countryside and saw a temple and then visited a village where met a lady who had set up a stall was cooking a sort of spicy rice dumpling with morning glory. After sampling one we proceeded to buy several more as they were delicious. We then headed back to the border town and stopped at the tourist market. There were many more fake bags etc on display and all better quality and cheaper than across the border in Thailand, we grabbed a few bargains but now wished we had got more as we did not find the like elsewhere. We headed back to the Golden Triangle and boarded a long tail boat for a trip on the Mekong and a short visit to a Lao tourist market ending in Chiang Saen. We made a quick visit to a temple with an ancient Chedi then back to the hotel.

We did a days mahout training at the Anantara, a wonderful experience getting to know these amazing animals. The highlight was bath time, and it must be the only time we have taken a bath and come out muckier than we went in!

The Golden Triangle area is some where we have wanted to get to know for years, we are glad this trip we managed to spend some time here.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Thanks Broder for passing Jermsak's email address. Appreciate it!

Cheers

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Pete:

Thanks for the info on the monkeys. We are going to the Golden Triangle while we are in Chiang Rai in April so I think I'll add this to the list. The teenager girls will love it!

Broder

Country Victoria
Level Contributor
86 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Thank you Broder - I love reading about your experiences - all your info is very helpful. We are very much looking forward to visiting the orphanage along with the other places we have planned to go with Jermsak. The orphanage will certainly be one of our highlights - my 15 year old daughter is especially looking forward to it. We have 3 nights in CR - staying at Dusit Island Resort - have read with interest the mixed reports on TA however we look at it as "just a bed" as we plan to pack a lot into our short stay and will not be spending a great deal of time at our hotel. Deliberately arranged the itinerary so we could depart Sunday 3 April for Chiang Mai (taking early VIP bus - thanks again for that info) - to enable us to experince the Sunday walking market.

Spending 5 nights in CM (Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel - picked this mainly for the location but the price was good too! ) then off to Krabi for some beach R & R at the Krabi Thai Village Resort. This will be our third trip to Thailand in four years - you might say we are a bit addicted! Have done the Phuket thing, had a great time in Khao Lak and now are looking forward to experiencing the north. Many thanks for all your help and along with the other regular posters your input is invaluable. Cheers for now - Mareeslee.

Country Victoria
Level Contributor
86 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Thanks Pete - I very much appreciate all your information. I nearly enjoy the planning and research as much as the actual holiday - well not quite !! LOL !! Keep it coming ! Cheers Mareeslee

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Mareeslee, Might pass you on walking street that night. We are staying in Chiang Mai for the market and then heading up to Chiang Rai on the Monday.

Caroline.

hobart
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Hi Mareeslee, It's probably just a typo, but I thought I'd mention it incase it isn't. The 3rd of April is Sat. not Sun. I'd hate to think you made bookings for travel and accom that were all a day out. Better safe than sorry!! In

Cheers, Graham.

Country Victoria
Level Contributor
86 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

Thanks Graeme - you had me hittting the panic button for a minute !!! We actually depart Chiang Rai on SUNDAY 28th March a.m. for Chiang Mai - arriving in plenty of time for the markets. We will be in Krabi in April ! So it's all good - but an excellent pick up - Cheers Mareeslee.

18. Re: Golden Triangle Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 20, 2010