We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

hobart
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

Sorry to all Chiang Rai forum devotees. If I had been thinking with both sides of my brain, I would have posted a seperate report for each destination.

This is the next best thing.

Day 6.... We were picked up by the famous, much lauded Jermsak. By the time we finished our tour with Jermsak three days later, it was obvious that all of the superlatives used to describe this guy were accurate. It was the little things that made a huge impact - the icy cold bottled water just when we needed it; the hand towels to wipe the perspiration off, and the little bags of fresh fruit that he bought from roadside stalls were most welcome. HIs knowledge of the north is amazing and his patience and willingness to please his client is obvious. We won't put in all the details of our particular trip here, as Jermsak prides himself on tailoring an itinerary which suits each client personally. The driver we had - a lovely lady named Air, did a great job.

Our thanks must go to another TA devotee, Broder, who made mention of El Shadai orphanage in Chiang Rai. We asked Jermsak to build a visit to this orphanage into our itinerary. He was happy to do so. These kids are looked after by a man named Mr. Surasak and his lovely wife. 16 children in all, who receive no support from Government or aid agencies. This man has taken on the responsibility of educating, feeding, clothing and housing kids who, without Mr Surasak and his wife, would probably be fending for themselves. Some of the older girls would probably be in BKK earning a living working in bars and clubs, if it were not for this wonderful couple. We felt priviledged to be able to help in a small way. The faces on these kids "lit up" with excitement as we arrived with some "goodies". They have so little and receive so much joy from things that kids in our country take forgranted. Alison and I have determined that we will continue to support the orphanage financially on a regular basis. I strongly recommend a visit. It's a way of giving something back to the people of Thailand, because we all come away so much richer for the experience of visiting this country.

Our base in the north was the Hotel North - just near the night bazaar. A good, value-for-money, comfortable boutique hotel. No problems recommending it. The night bazaar was the best we came across in Thailand. Plenty of selection, not too crowded and traders who were more interested in their TV's than hassling tourists!!! Good selection of restaurants, and if you're tall like us, watch out for low-hanging signs on the streets!! They hurt.....

For readers who don't normally view the Chiang Mai forum, the full version can be found there.

Cheers, Graham.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

Graham:

Thanks for the trip report and for sharing the Chiang Rai portion on this forum. I think it helps new TA members who are specifically searching for information on Chiang Rai, as they often start with this forum.

Your full report on the Chiang Mai forum, along with the Chiang Rai version, are just amazing. You have fantastic writing skills.

Thanks for sharing.

Broder

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

Hi Graham,

One quick question (apart from what did you and the washing lady actually talk about over dinner?!) - how did you book the North Hotel and can you remember roughly how much it was.

I was talking to a friend about it and went to show here the web page - but now can't find it.

I'm sure they use to have their own web page but it is not coming up on goggle now.

Caroline.

hobart
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

G'day Caroline, I'll do the answers first. We booked direct with the North hotel. The web address is a little obscure i.e. www.thenorth.co.th and as I recall, it was 1800 Baht for two nights bed with a very reasonable brekky, in what would be described as a very comfy room. Albeit on the fourth floor!!!with no elevator. Fotunately, "vanity" saw me shed 10 kilograms before we left home. I didn't want to be viewed as a "floundering fat farang" every time I went for a swim. So with my new level of fitness, the stairs were not much of a hassle. Your question about our conversation with the beautiful Jun, now THAT'S a question worth pondering! To be honest, I'm not sure what we spoke about!!! Most of the time, we enlisted the help of a beautiful young waitress. She had the most infectious smile and laugh that I've ever seen or heard, just finished uni and had reasonable English, infinately better than my Thai. So this is how the evening went...... I'd pose a question, the waitress would listen, then laugh as if it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard, then translate to Jun. She would then laugh very loudly smile and laugh some more, give an answer to our gorgeous young waitress who would then laugh until tears rolled down her cheeks and then try and translate to Alison and I. We would then laugh a lot. The longer the night went, more and more Singha's went to beer heaven and more and more patrons around us vanished!! In the end we had about 5 waitresses looking after us and all having a great time. Her generous heart came to the fore when she produced gifts for Alison and myself and made us promise to come back to see her next time! We will do just that!!!

Regards, Graham.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

Graham,

That is just a wonderful story!

I can just picture it.

She is just so beautiful.

She use to cycle around the area at night with our washing in her bike basket until she found us at some local haunt.

We loved this little area of Chiang Mai (Riverside near the Good View and Gallery) and got to know quite a few of the local characters in the street - like Jun and Regina.

You feel like you could just keep on exploring Chiang Mai forever - little hidden gems and wonderful people with fascinating stories.

I sat and talked at length to Regina one day while her niece made our take away lunch. Now there's another story!

Thanks for sharing.

Caroline.

5. Re: Cut'n'paste from Chiang Mai report re Chiaqng Rai!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, November 09, 2009