We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Finally, on October 29, 2008, Le Meridien Chiang Rai opened its door to welcome all guests with a discerning taste for fine accommodation and fine dinning. I had the pleasure to dine at their Italian restaurant, Favola, just before it was opened and everything was so perfect that one just longs to return. I would love to hear from anyone of you who have been there what you have to say about this new sparkling star.

Dekbannok

bangkok
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Hi Dekbannok,

I have been there as well and I must say that it is a really beautiful resort. My personal favourite is the magnificent view from the Lobby. It is really hard to imagine such a beautiful resort found so near the city and airport.

Will you be going back soon? I hear that they are holding some very interesting events like Loy Krathong and Opera.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Hi:

Sorry for my tardy reply as I have just returned to the forum after more than 3 weeks.

You are right. They have had a very well-attended Loy Krathong event I heard but I missed it as I was in Bangkok. But will surely try to make it to their great event on Nov. 28- La Boheme, Puccini's Classic Opera. Opera in Chiang Rai! This has to be Chiang Rai's first opera and really wonderful. It will change the cultural map of Chiang Rai forever.

Dekbannok

Melbourne
Level Contributor
284 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Has anyone stayed at Le Meridien in Chiang Rai yet. We have booked to stay in January - looks a little bare in the photos but that could be because it is so new. Lee

bangkok
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Hi Leer,

I have not exactly stayed at Le Meridien Chiang Rai but I have been there once or twice, most recently to join in the Loy Krathong festival that was held there, and as debannok mentioned, there was the Opera too.

From my visits, what I can say is that the resort is really quite beautiful. Great view from the lobby, lots of greenery, its own lagoon, and two big 100 year-old rain trees giving it lots of character. Both restaurants have great view of the river as well, and you can choose to chill at the bar by the pool (beside the river) or even by the fire place along the river. Not bare at all, I would say.

Took a quick peek in the rooms and I am sure you will love it. Very spacious and elegantly design. Not tried the beds but certainly looks inviting.

Only drawback so far is that it is somewhat difficult to locate if you are driving to the resort as road signs are few and hard to spot. It is still pretty accessible for such a beautiful resort (I always imagined such resorts located in some isolated area) though as it is less than 10mins from airport and 10 mins from city centre.

I am sure you will enjoy your stay in Chiang Rai in January because the weather is lovely with clear blue skies and brilliantly bright stars to see at night. Have fun and let us about your stay experience with Le Meridien when you return!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
284 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Thank you for your response. We have actually booked for 5 nights in january so will let you know what we think after we have stayed there. Sounds lovely from your description & the few photos on the hotel website. Not sure how we are getting there from Chiang Mai yet - we may need to book a driver just so we dont get lost! Lee

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Leer - The question on how to get to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai is one often posted on these forums. I asked the same question earlier this year.

Most forum regulars suggested the Green VIP Bus - this was a fantastic way to travel. Just under three hours on a 18 seater (approx) - large 'business class' style seats, toilet on board and water and snacks provided. It was so easy and comfortable. You arrive at the Chiang Rai bus station and just jump in a taxi/songthaew from there. More info on this on my Chiang Rai trip report.

Caroline.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Caroline have you posted any pictures of the green bus on flickr or some other site, I'd love to see the seats and interior.

The last time I caught a bus to CR, it was a stinking hot day, it took 6 hours, stopped every 100 metres (or so it seemed at the time), never got over 60 kmph and the entire journey I was flanked by some locals with a live chicken under each arm.

Each time we hit a bump, the chooks would cackle, and everyone would crack a smile... then there were the checkpoints :-/

I still remember cringing every time someone threw their garbage out the window on to the road. T.I.T.

I swore that would be the last bus trip I ever took, and to date it has been. (Did I digress?) sorry...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
284 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Thanks Caroline for your info on the VIP Bus. It sounds really comfortable & the boys would enjoy it I'm sure. The other option of getting a driver is very expensive. Finally, do we need to book well in advance or can we book it when we arrive in Chiang Mai? Lee

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Lee - We booked it four days in advance. We had our pick of seats. When we took the trip the bus was full - so it seems most people book in the days immediately before.

There are at least four buses a day - if you book immediately on your arrival in Chiang Mai you should be right.

4B - sorry - no photos. In fact I'm not sure we took any photos inside the bus. It was extremely comfortable. The seats and leg room were almost the same size as business class on a plane. Fold up leg rest and a huge recline in the seat. There are large glass windows and blinds on the window if you want to take a break from the view. As mentioned - toilet on board - about two hours 50 min trip. No stops. They serve you water and a snack. Very highly recommended and easier than negotiating the airport.

Caroline.

Worcs
Level Contributor
19 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5-Star hotel and restaurant finally arrived Chiang Rai city!

Lee have just returned from a week in Chiang Mai and a week in Chiang Rai and on Carolines advice took the VIP bus to CR its everything and more that Caroline says. We booked at CM bus station 3 days before,the seats are huge and the snacks welcome and the toilet spotless. You wont be dissapointed. Also while in Chiang Rai again on Carolines advice make sure you visit the White Temple everyone should see this its amazing. ( Thank you Caroline ! ) Have a great trip Lee

Larraine