We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anantara golden triangle costs

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Anantara golden triangle costs

Hi

We are going to the Anantara later in the year (Dec) and trying to get a handle on the costs of things, I contacted the hotel already but was only sent the spa brochure.

Can anyone advise costs for the cooking class, elephant excursions etc, but most importantly dinner and drinks in the hotel.

cheers!

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

Costs are high there...they have a captive audience.

Drinks are around 300 baht and up per drink, even juice drinks. We only ate dinner once, but a rather simple dinner of pad thai, sweet and sour chicken (very little chicken too), rice, and water cost 953.37 baht (looking at bill right now from August). Another day, 2 juice drinks (no alcohol) and 2 sandwiches cost 1106.38 baht. If you get more food and drinks, it will be much more...we had little appetite due to the Malarone we had been taking since 3 weeks earlier.

According to their website, cooking class is US$106.00++ per person. One day mahout training is US$130.++ per person. Breakfast is US$20.00++ per person.

They run a free shuttle to the town of Sop Ruak during the day, but after 6 pm you have to pay a huge price for transportation there, wiping out any cost savings you might have had for eating dinner elsewhere. Walking, though not far, may not be so safe at night as there is no sidewalk and the road is narrow and curvy in places. There are lots of places to eat in town though.

A trip to Mae Salong would be a fantastic way to spend a day...it is very beautiful there and is a place we will certainly return to and spend some time.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

hi Thanks for this, from the sounds of it the experience is worth the hiked up prices, (which seem to be a bit lower than UK so not all bad!)

we'll just need to stay clear of the wine!

thanks again for the info

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

We stayed at the Imperial Golden Triangle Apr 06 and found the meals in the hotel good, but pricey. We ate in a restaurant across the street and another one down the street a ways. We bought our beer in the 7-11 - cheapest place. Wine in Thailand is expensive because it's all imported.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

Purplefoxy - How did you get to the Anantara from Chiang airport?

Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

hi

We booked though Austravel and they arranged a bus transfer via Tourismo Asia, all 'included' so no idea of cost

Although I understand that the hotel organises something for you if you book direct with them - probably more luxurious and from what we could tell , better pick up times. when we were returning to the airport we were picked up ridiculously early , other guests on our flight got an extra couple of hours at the hotel. Much more sensible as chaing rai airport is tiny!

Agen, France
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

The hotel arranged a pick up from Chiang Rai for us. Fitted in with the time we wanted to be picked up, and from memory it cost around 3000 baht. (Feb 2008).

We also arranged for the hotel driver to take drive us to Chiang Mai at the end of our stay. We decided air conditioned hotel limo via local taxi? No contest!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
293 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

Hi,

had a fantastic stay in august. I found the hotel (by thai standards) a bit expensive but by UK/irish costs quite ok, and the whole resort has an excellent quality service. Dining in either restaurant was most enjoyable and I didnt want to go any place else.The 3 country tour with their driver and guide was well worth it. When I went into Burma she brought me to some places just of the beaten track and I loved it. Again the elephant excursions etc in terms of what they put back into the elephant camp and the whole project to me was good value and again an excellent service. The fact that you are going to this resort I suggest to hell with the costs and pamper yourself to the full. Its a long winter ahead. this was one of the best little gems I have stayed at in a long time. It was wonderful. enjoy.

there is so much to do in that area, and if you fly into chiang rai get the hotel limo,thats worth it as well

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

Purplefoxy

You do not have to be part of the "captive" market at Anantara for food and beverages. I have stayed at Anantara a few times now, most recently in July 2008.

There is now a taxi service in town that is run by the husband of the woman who runs the little massage place in town. His name is Arie. We paid $3 (100 baht) for four of us to go from town to Anantara. Eating in town rather than at Anantara saved us a lot of money and supported the local businesses. The town is Sob Ruak (pronounced "So Brook"). You can ask the wait staff at any of the restuarants to call the taxi for you and they will call Arie. He has a very clean car (no taxi sign on it) and is very gracious and pleasant.

I love the resort of Anantara, enjoy the staff, think they have the greatest pool and the locations is fabulous. However, other than breakfast (which is great) the food is only moderate and it is overpriced. The price of a bottle of large water at Anantara during dinner will cost you more than your entire meal and a drink at a local restaurant in town.

Wine in Thailand has the second highest import tax in the world. However, you can buy pretty decent wine (Australian) at the little grocery store in town. A decent bottle of chardonnay was less than the price of a glass at Anantara. The rooms have refrigerators, so you can keep the wine cold in your room.

You can also obtain guide service for much less than Anantara. Our guide was great. His name was Jermsak and his email is jermsak_cei@yahoo.co.th

We enjoy staying at Anantara but also prefer to use the locals for guides and dining out.

The spa at Anantara is quite good, but it is expensive also. It is about 1,800 baht for a foot massage (200 baht in town) and about 2,600 baht for an hour massage (about 250 baht in town). Of course, the atmosphere of the spa at Anantara far surpasses the little massage place in town. We tended to alternate. Some days we'd have a foot massage in town and then go out to eat in town. Other days, if we had a big lunch late in the day, we'd splurge and go back and have an evening spa treatment at Anantara.

Also, it cost 1,100 to 1,200 baht for a local driver with an air conditioned van (new and in great shape) to pick you up at the Chaing Rai airport and take you to Anantara. We used Mr. Bai. You can reach him through Jermsak, whose email is above (the business card I have for Mr. Bai is in Thai so I can't figure out his email address but he knows Jermsak).

Have a great trip.

Broder

9. Re: Anantara golden triangle costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, October 09, 2009