We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

New Hampshire
3 posts
Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

We have seven nights to spend and are wondering how we should consider the time in each place.

6 replies to this topic
Asia
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

Half half approximately?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

You asked on the Chiang Rai forum, so response here will favor CR. But I think Chiang Mai has more to offer in terms on variety so maybe 4/3 or 5/2 CM/CR.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
12,265 posts
591 reviews
273 helpful votes
3. Re: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

Have you done any research?? At all??? Read lots of the forum posts, find out what interests you ..and go for it. I say 3 nights in CR and the rest in CM...Or more in CM..we go each year, could live there!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
201 reviews
168 helpful votes
4. Re: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

I spent 5 nights in Chiang Rai before moving to Chiang Mai for a week and for me, there is definitely more to do in Chiang Mai.

I've actually been back to Chiang Mai for periods of up to 10 days whereas I've never felt the desire to go back to Chiang Rai because I felt quite bored there. However, it all depends on what you like doing.

Maybe 3 nights in Chiang Rai? One day for a tour to the Golden Triangle, one day doing something adventurous like ATV driving (if you're up to it), and with any time left over just a browse around the town?

Like charley48, I love Chiang Mai and will be back there in October.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
12,086 posts
155 reviews
69 helpful votes
5. Re: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

I agree more to do in CM than CR, if you are just talking about the town, really 1 day for the town is enough time in CR. It takes about 4 hours to travel between them, consider flying into CR and then bus to CM.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?

Chiang has more shops, more restraunts.

It's a far bigger town?

But about from the local Tempals with in the city center you have to travel far outside CM to visit some of the wonders of CM.

Now With CR

The main attractions are within 20 mins of the city center.

If you check on TA for the Top"Things to Do" for CR and then compaire the same with CM you will see my point.

Also CR it's easy to get out of town now on a bad day in CM it could take you 1 hour to leave CM.

People will say you live in CR So your views are towards CR?

Yes I say, you are correct but I still love visiting CM But for diffante reasons.

So to totally dismiss CR would be a shame IMO.

Because of the travel time it takes you to get to the out of town attractions in CM.

I would allocate more time in CM.

Reply to: Is there more to do in Chaing mai than Chaing rai?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted