We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport

Hi all! I'm wondering if this is possible - from Chiang Rai my husband and I would like to do a day trip to Mae Sai on public transport, but we would also like to stop at Fish Cave, either on the way there or back, not fussy. While I know hiring a car and driver or hiring a guide are both very affordable options, I quite like the idea of taking a bus. Has anyone done this themselves, or have some local knowledge of bus routes that could offer some guidance?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport

Fish cave.

I call it the monkey house.

Take the bus that goes up the 1 road to Mae Sai.

10 km before Mae Sai there is police check point

Get off here.

Bus driver will let you ok.

Just at the police check point there is a main turning on the left, which will lead you to the monkey house.

It's about 2 km down this road.

But check with the driver he may drop and pickup people to and from the monkey house.

Now because you are at the monkey house you may want to visit the (football team cave)

This is we're the young kids was trapped all them days underground.

Worth a visit and is only 5 km away from the monkey house.

If your scared of monkey don't go to see the fish caves ok.

The monkeys here can and are very aggressive.

So be warned.

Got luck have a great time.

Edited: 5:36 am, July 16, 2019
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport

Here a review talks about the monkey house and was given a stick ? And talked about the football team cave.

Located at the end of a lane left off route 1 heading north from Chiang Rai and about 10 kms before Mai Sai. The attractive temple complex is populated by many monkeys which I found generally behaved themselves.Entrance was free and a very helpful English speaking attendant provided a thin stick to carry just in case a monkey or two misbehaved. Because of mobility problems I gave the Fish Cave a miss however many fish (large and small) can be seen in the lake by the temple. Food for the monkeys and fish can be purchased from an official stall that provides appropriate food. Beware, the monkeys will see you buying food and make a dash to grab a banana from your small bucket. To my (and other tourists) amazement 2 older parent monkeys quietly sat by my feet and tugged at my trousers begging for food. Children can take a ride on a small paddle boat on the lake .Parking and refreshments are available outside the Temple. I coupled this visit with a visit to the Tham Luang Cave (Wild Boars Football Team rescue) which made a very pleasant day's outing

Edited: 5:45 am, July 16, 2019
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport

Thanks for your reply. I guess specifically what I want to know is if I get off the bus there, are there songteuw or taxi to go the rest of the way to the cave? And can I then catch a bus the rest of the way to Mae Sai?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport

Never taken the bus

But I would say yes.

The police check point is a very busy one and all buses must stop to be checked.

I am sure you can hope on at that time when it stops.

At the monkey house, yes many Tuk Tuk and taxis should be avilabel.

Edited: 8:51 pm, July 21, 2019
Reply to: Mae Sai via Fish Cave - public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted