We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

San Francisco
Level Contributor
139 posts
Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

Hello,

we are traveling from Chiang Rai (CEI) airport to BKK aiport on last flight on Saturday in June. Flight lands at 8.35 pm and we have international flight at 12.30 am (4 hrs later). Tickets are not bought together so if we are late we will lose our international flight. Just wondering how likely for the flight to be delayed during weekend in June? I tried to search for statistics online for Smile Airlines but coudn't find. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
36 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

You probably have 1 1/2 hours leeway, at most, if you’re running late. That’s a reasonable margin, but still a bit iffy.

If I could arrive a couple of hours earlier on same day, I’d take an earlier flight. If not, I’d probably still go for the one you like and keep my fingers crossed.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
12,107 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

I would never book the last flight of the day to then be catching a International flight.What happens if the flight gets cancelled? Yes Thai smile might put the people on Thai Airways flight. You might be able to get seat on Bangkok Air.

It might all work out, and on paper, it should be fine. 8.35 Landing BKK wait for your luggage and get up to level 4 around 9.30 PM so the check in should be open..

Chok Dee

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
634 posts
39 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

I always arrive at Bangkok the day before international departure. Whilst I may lose a day somewhere else I gain a day not worrying about whether I'll make it back to Bangkok.

Also last flights of the day are the likeliest to be cancelled as delays build up. Take an earlier flight or spend the previous night in Bangkok

Edited: 6:22 pm, March 28, 2019
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
4. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

No point looking at the stats yours could be the 1 in a 1000 cancelled

Also at the moment because of the air conditions many flights are being cancelled to CM at the moment.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

Agree probably best to be in Bangkok the day before, or at least earlier same day. Thai Smile have earlier flights arriving BKK 11:35 and 16:25.

Some flights up north currently affected by thick hazy air which should be gone in a few weeks, but then there are occasional "Summer storms" (sudden gusty rains, sometimes hail) which might delay flights.

Southeast Asia
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
448 reviews
254 helpful votes
6. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

Delays are quite normal for flights later in the day. Thai Smile is not partcularly known for delays like Air Asia but one never knows - when it happens, it happens, and usually you'll only know after checking in and waiting for the departure.

7. Re: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:30 am, June 20, 2019

Reply to: Smile Air Ciang Rai (CEI) to BKK - in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted