We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to surat thani

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
train to surat thani

hey,

I am still trawling the web trying to book a somewhat inexpensive journey to Koh Phangnan.

I heard not to take the second class sleeper trains, rather go for first class. Does anyone agree? First class is double the price, so at that point I might as well fly via nokair. but then I would have to spend the night in bangkok - all of this adds up!

Would anyone recommend trying a train for Bangkok to Surat Thani at 13:00 that arrives at 12am? Prebooking a hotel in Surat Thani and then catching the first available bus from Surat Thani to Donsak? Reason being that I wouldn't then have to sleep in second class - which I heard has thieves and... roaches, is noisy... That bus is only about 600 Baht, instead of the over night at 1440 in first class.

how close is the train station to don sak/buses?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,169 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to surat thani

Hi,

Travel by second class sleeper, get there in the morning and take the ferry across to Phangan. I have never heard of Thai trains being full of thieves ! Indeed, I have travelled on many second and third class trains in Thailand without any issues, aside from them being late. Relax a little and enjoy the overnighter to Surat Thani. Another possibility is the government bus or the Lomprayah bus + catamaran.

The buses wait just outside Surat Thani railway station, you can't miss them.

Edited: 2:22 am, December 19, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,614 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to surat thani

As a more convenient option consider buying a ticket on a organised Government Bus from Bangkok (Southern Terminal) to Koh Phangan via Don Sak with Raja Ferry

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to surat thani

First Class is so boring, you are completely isolated from other travellers and the standard of travel is no better than 2nd class. If I was going to go first class I would just fly instead as the prices are comparative.

"Reason being that I wouldn't then have to sleep in second class - which I heard has thieves and... roaches, is noisy... That bus is only about 600 Baht, instead of the over night at 1440 in first class."

You've heard a lot of things, most of which are nonsense. I've travelled several times with my children in second class and had no problems at all. You keep your valuables with you obviously and there are guards on the trains too. If you are in any way fussy, don't bother with the train as you will find things that annoy you, so just fly to ST instead.

Edited: 6:13 pm, December 19, 2013
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to surat thani

Thanks for the message! I have heard a lot of things from people who I think are not used to third world travelling conditions! I am from South Africa myself and know very well how to be guarded over valuables, but still relaxed and travel comfortably. It's amazing comparing the views between Saffas and American friends, for example :D

Thanks folks.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to surat thani

You can't go to a developing nation and expect things to be the same as home, that's why we go because they're different.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to surat thani

wild... flights via nokair to Surat Thani are about 50 Baht more than the overnight train, second class. So I guess the only saving there is I wouldn't have to spend the night in Bangkok if I take the train...

But I think a night in Bangkok would be awesome! Anyone with a inexpensive hotel/backpackers in mind?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to surat thani

I completely agree - that is why we go, and well, it is all part of the travel experience to live differently (for me at least) and to experience it at a local level as much as you can.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train to surat thani

I think overnight train travel in Thailand is a lot of fun, my kids love it (they're not even phased by the toilets). Bangkok is awesome too, worthy of more than 1 night and there are plenty of cheap hostels around. Avoid Khao San Road, this is not the real Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
Khao San Road
Khao San Road
11,228 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train to surat thani

Finally, are there lots of ferries/bus from Surat Thani airport to Koh Phangnan - should I book now? Or just on arrival?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Surat Thani Airport
Surat Thani Airport
Surat Thani, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train to surat thani

On arrival is fine unless it is during peak season.

Get answers to your questions about Surat Thani