We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surat Thani to Koa Tao

Dorset UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Surat Thani to Koa Tao

Hi we are travelling on the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok which I believe arrives in Surat Thani about 7? its then about an hour and a half bus ride to the ferry port? I think I have that bit right. We are booked on the fast boat, how long does this take and do we have to change boat at Koh Phangan. I believe there are only 2 fast boats a day is this right? if we were to miss the first 1 would we still be able to get there the same day? Pretty important as we arrive xmas eve! (we have booked through a travel company but are struggling to get these details out of them at the moment) Thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,069 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surat Thani to Koa Tao

So firstly you can guarantee the train will be late in as they usually are and outside the station you will see the ferry companies buses, just jump on one (we use Lomprayah as it's the fastest) and then yes, 1 1/2 hours to Don Sak.

www.lomprayah.com/surat/surat.html

From the above timetable you will see that the bus leaves at 9am from ST, but if your train is late (like ours was), they seem to hold the ferry up until you arrive - this is important for you as there seems to be only one Lomprayah ferry to Koh Tao which arrives at 14.45.

There are other ferries, but they all leave in the morning as well. You would actually have been better off going to Chumphon (the stop before Surat Thani) as even though the train arrives really early in the morning, even if it's late it still gives you plenty of time to get the Lomprayah Ferry at 7am and there's another ferry at 13.00 as well.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surat Thani to Koa Tao

Hi

As Cassnu states Chumphon is the best stop on the train for Koh Tao. If you can change your arrival destination then I'd suggest you try that first.

If you can't amend your ticket and you do miss the ferry then you may have difficulty arriving the same day.

You would need to get to Koh Samui as soon as possible and in time to try and grab tickets (if not full by then) for the last ferry for Tao which leaves at 13.30.

http://www.seatrandiscovery.com/home.php

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,069 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surat Thani to Koa Tao

And tickets likely to be sold out from Koh Samui due to all the parties on Koh Phangan is my guess.

If you have already booked your train ticket then it's not a problem as you can just jump off early at Chumphon, but you would need to re-book your ferry ticket which may prove more difficult.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surat Thani to Koa Tao

Chumphon would be quicker

5. Re: Surat Thani to Koa Tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 18, 2013