We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to eat?

Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to eat?

Hi all.

Off to Khao Lak very soon (cannot wait) we LOVE Thai food. We always seem to go for the same thing - all the different curries, Papaya Salad, satay, spring rolls etc. Looking for inspirations on what we must try.

All suggestions greatly received!

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to eat?

Seafood is usually fantastic. A lot of places will have fresh seafood on ice that you can choose and pay by the 100gram. You can choose how to have it cooked - grilled on the bbq or deep fried with a spicy sauce is always a fave of ours.

Spicy minced pork is my husband's fave. I also love the stir fries with basil etc. So many yummy things to try, just go through the menu and order your faves and then add something new each time :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,701 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to eat?

See this current thread for suggestions tripadvisor.co.uk/…47000830

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to eat?

Definitely Seafood cake @ Hilltribes.....One of my favourites.....!!

The other - Prawns in red wine sauce or something like that..??...Help Alan..??

What's that other wonderful dish @ Hilltribes...??...You've had it - I've had it but can't remember what it was...??...

Also fish in tamarind sauce.....Yummmmmm...!!....

Can't half tell Hilltribes is my favourite restaurant in Khao Lak.....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,701 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to eat?

Here you are, take your pick hilltribe-restaurant.com/txt/recommendations…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to eat?

Thanks for the great suggestions, I'm salivating just reading about the prawns. I was also a huge fan of Hill Tribes and cannot wait to go back. Another favourite was Candle restaurant - do you know Alan, (you are the font of Khao Lak knowledge) if they are still closed?

Once again many thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,701 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to eat?

Hi Nicola

Sadly The Candle appears to be closed permanently.

The Damg THao, next door to Takieng, is now a very good alternative to the Hill Tribes for northern Thai cuisine, Chiang Rai in its case. Both great restaurants IMO. Just a pity Hill Tribes is not in the best of positions as you have to make a determined efoort to get there. No passing customer traffic.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to eat?

The Takieng is directly across the road from Bang Niang markets.....

A great place to stop for lunch or dinner after shopping at the markets....

Lovely happy host too....Leaning on the other side of the fence...!!....

Beautiful rustic bush style furniture .....

The Dang Thao we ate at also,however Takieng wins it for us by a slim margin....

Pakarang restaurant was also recommended to me by a local expat.....This is a cheap eats place,mostly locals eat at.....The restaurant does not have any English advertising,however the menu is in English.....It is situated diagonally across the road from the Mohin Tara....

The meals are delicious and cheap.....However one day I found a long black hair and a rubber band in our morning glory....but I didn't despair as Anny says,"You are always finding foreign matter in your/our dishes..??"....And I do...!!....No matter where we eat.....Certain things are attracted to me.....

The meal was delicious tho'....!!

8. Re: What to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 07, 2014