We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil Unrest in Thailand

Lincolnshire, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Civil Unrest in Thailand

Well our first ever well planned trip to Thailand staying at the JW Marriott Khao Lak is all up in the air following the UK Foreign Office issuing guidance for no non essential travel to anywhere in Thailand from today due to the Civil Unrest issues.

I can't imagine there are any issues in Khao Lak but we have been warned if we travel our insurance is void. I am hoping this will change soon before our trip in June.

Does anyone have any info re trouble in this region?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

There is none. IMO the UK travel advice is too strong. Huge areas are perfectly safe. The fact that the UK Embassy is right by the main protest site in Bangkok may colour their views on safety.

Lincolnshire, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

Thanks for that, i would tend to agree. until today it was only Bangkok but has now been changed to all thailand. i am hoping this changes soon.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,501 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

UK was very (too?) keen with the Iceland ash cloud. Seems they are carrying on with the "where there's smoke there's fire" attitude. Seems strange that UK seems to be the only nation taking this extreme attitude.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

Khao Lak and all the beach areas are just fine.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,501 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

Unfortunately the UK, Canada and who knows what other countries Foreign Offices don't agree as they are classed as unsafe for all but essential travel. I have friends both Thai and non-Thai living in Khao Lak and I am not in the least worried for them or about them and their awareness of the situation is only what they see on TV. Daily life in Khao Lak goes on.

Tipperary
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. Was supposed to put a deposit down with trailfinders for our dream honeymoon starting in bangkok on the 11 july next. I dont know what to do now. What frightened me was when i heard about the grenade attack at a train station. I dont mind the fighting at the protests because as tourists, we'd just stay away from any such large groups. But all i'd be afraid of are possible bombings at tourist hotels!!

We're to stay at the Srangri-la hotel in Bangkok. Anyone know if its close to protests etc.

Lincolnshire, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

I can't imagine there would be any direct threat to tourists, I would say that it would be wise to stay away from Bangkok as you may get caught up in the unrest. I am hoping that the situation will be resolved before my planned trip in June.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

annatipp,

The Shangri-La is on the river, it's a great location with very easy access to the express boats and skytrain. The red shirt 'hotspots' have so far been more centrally located, the grenade attack was very close to the main red shirt encampment near Silom Road. During our extended volcanic ash stay in Bangkok we used that station the night before the grenade attack, the surrounding area was quite tense due to the stand-off between the army and red shirts. It's very close to Patpong and if you want my advice it's not worth visiting anyway. Obviously, trouble could occur anywhere but I think you'll find the Shangri-la is in a good location (and a great hotel!)

As for Khao Lak? I know trouble can happen anywhere but I very much doubt you'll find it there! Beautiful beaches and lovely people, we very much enjoyed our stay over Easter.

The Foreign Office advice is completely OTT but creates a real dilemma if it invalidates your travel insurance.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

On our recommendation my in laws are currently in Khao Lak enjoying there holiday. I'm not worried but I see that the UK tour operators are no longer taking holiday bookings and refusing to let people go to Thailand. They are offering a refund or to re-arrange.

I don't know yet what they are doing with holiday makers in Thailand. The company they travelled with are sending reps out to contact everyone, so I don't know if they are being told to come home or stay in.

If you fly only you can still get there but your travel insurance is probably invalid, something people need to consider.

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Civil Unrest in Thailand

What is going in Bangkok has nothing whatsoever to do with Khao Lak. You woul certainly regret it dearly if you cancelled your trip to Thailand cause of some unrest which is almost 1,000km away.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak