We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha vs. Kili airport

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Arusha vs. Kili airport

Was hoping someone could give me advice as to which airport to use to travel from Arusha to Zanzibar as I've been getting conflicting information.

Is it better/cheaper to fly out of Arusha airport rather than travelling farther to the Kili airport?

Thanks for any input.

Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha vs. Kili airport

Also, the two options are flying with a airline called "Zanair" (from Arusha) or "precision air" from Kili. From what I read Precision Air is established and reliable, but has anyone had any experience with Zanair?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha vs. Kili airport

Rhino... The international airport at Arusha is called Kilimanjaro so I'm not certain what you mean by "flying out of Arusha airport rather then traveling further to the Kili airport". Kilimanjaro airport is about 45 minutes from Arusha town. Typically when people talk about the Arusha airport they mean Kilimanjaro Or did you mean the small Arusha airport located very close to Arusha town? I think if you meant the Arusha airpot close to Arusha town then you could only catch a charter flight out of there for Zanzibar, I don't think that many scheduled flights leave from there, other then charter, or perhaps Coastal Air flights. Precision Air flights leave from Kilimanjaro Airport.

If you are in Arusha town then you should use the Kilimanjaro airport to get to Zanzibar. As I said it's only about 45 minutes out of Arusha town. Precision Air has a shuttle from Arusha to the Kilimanjaro airport, which is free or sometimes I have paid 2,000 TSH (less then $2) for the shuttle ride to the airport. The shuttle leaves from their office near the clock tower.

Precision Air and Zan Air are comparable airlines. Precision Air is a larger carrier and is partly owned by Air Kenya and has more flights.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha vs. Kili airport

Rhino6,

Arusha Airport is only 10 mins from the town, to the west.

there are several flights from there to Zanzibar. these flights connect on to Dar and the Selous Parks.

I have their 2006 timetable in front of me. they also go west into the Serengeti area. (And to Dodoma Karl)

These are scheduled services and reliable.

Kili is 45 mins the other way and of course Precision fly from there.

My money would be on Arusha airport. I have used Coastal several times in the past. They use Cessna Caravan 19 seaters and will put on extra planes if overbooked.

Try their Website or Email them direct.

www.coastal.cc or mail safari@coastal.cc You will find them very helpful indeed.

4. Re: Arusha vs. Kili airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 18, 2009