We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

What is a good tour or site that i can get reputable tours of the Serengeti national Park that are based from Arusha or can start in Arusha? I will be doing some mission work and will have some days off and want to see as much wildlife as i can. Any suggestions for a man on a budget and that wants to see the "best" of Tanzania close to Arusha?

1. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 27, 2013
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Thanks Roselyn B,

During this time period is there a good chance of seeing the "Big Five"? I will be in Tanzania for two months and can do some different day tours and such. Any suggestions?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Rhino sightings are virtually guaranteed in Ngorongoro Crater. Leopard sightings can never be guaranteed anywhere. The most common big cat and also the most elusive.

Good luck.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

It will take you the better part of a day to go from Arusha to the Serengeti in a vehicle, and another day to get back to Arusha. As a day trip the only way to do this will be to fly there and back (cost over $200 each way).

You will be better advised to go to one of the parks closer to Arusha, like Tarangire. If you are there (you don't say when you will be there) during the dry season the Tarangire will be one of the best parks you can be in, it has tons of elephants, buffalo, giraffe, zebra, etc. along with all their predators.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Mfuwe-I wish you would have given me your rhino guarantee-that was my one disappointment to not see one, and we really tried.

Joshua-I agree, you would be better sticking to Tarangire, Manyara, or Ngorongoro crater. Go to the main Tanzania forum, and scheck the topics listed on the right. You will find one with recommended travel agants. Send requests of what you want to a few different companies to compare prices and ask questions.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,280 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Often, when arranging safari before Arusha arrival it is difficult to find a reliable tour that offers affordable group safaris - which is more budget oriented. Most offer private solo safaris which get expensive - even doing a day trip. If you are going on mission, there may well be people to share a safari with you and can be organized once you arrive in Arusha. If the Serengeti is your heart's desire, then see if you can spend a few more days at the end - or work out at least 4-6 days in a stretch to get you that far.

Make note of some of the TOs mentioned in bullet 4 of Frequent Questions on the Tanzania forum and see what you can arrange once there. I am not saying they are going to offer you a lower price than organized ahead of time, but it will give you a list of reputable TOs, and I expect once on mission, you will meet others just as curious to travel as you. Once there you can discuss and plan some dates that work for more people and create a safari at a better budget.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Technically, I saw a rhino in the Crater, but it was so far away, it could have been anything. Luckily, I did see a number of leopards in the Serengeti.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Joshua... I think you are getting a sense of how different visiting the northern circuit parks is from doing day tours at some other tourist locations. All the parks are really destination visits, not day trips.

So first suggestion is... in a time frame of less than 4 days, on a budget, forget the Serengeti. It's a little like saying "I'm going to be staying in Denver - what is the best day trip to Yellowstone NP?" It is too far away, and then too vast, to do quickly and on a budget.

Second suggestion... almost any two day tour would be better than almost any two one-day tours. Since travel after dark in the parks is prohibited... and travel on the highways at night is not advisable... and sunset is early... a day trip misses the best wildlife times of early morning and late afternoon... On the other hand, the lodging can add a lot to the expense.

Cheapest (and still not cheap) safari trips are basic camping.

Third suggestion... find some other folks doing mission/volunteer work. Plan a three day, two night basic camping trip, sharing travel expenses. Do Day 1 Tarangire, Day 2 Tarangire ending up camping in Karatu or on the crater rim. Day 3 tour the crater and head back to Arusha in late afternoon. In three days you'd get a really good taste for Tanzanian wildlife and see some amazing environments... baobab forests, riverine, the escarpment, and an amazing crater.

I know you are on a budget... this is a place to splurge... go into debt... whatever. You are going halfway around the world to one of the world's greatest wildlife experiences... it would be daft to miss it due to something as silly as money...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

@sciguy.

Note that I said <Rhino sightings are virtually guaranteed> a great escape clause. I too have been down there and not seen one, it does happen. Whilst the Crater floor looks flat it is anything but and there is lots of "Dead Ground" where even something that big can be hidden.

If it is any consolation to you and Adventurer I have yet to get a really close encounter such as some lucky folks have done. The only way to get a good view is to go often. I am still trying. Once I nearly had a conniption when I saw a Rhino trot over the track close behind a truck that was not even interested as there was a dratted Lion asleep next to them and they would rather look at that.

IAB has some good ideas. Listen to him.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour of the Serengeti from Arusha

Mfuwe-I guess I will just have to be satisfied with the caracal sighting (close by)-oh well.

Joshua-I'm sure you can also group up with some others doing mission work, or even climbing Kili for a short group safari when you are there. Just be sure to use a recommended TO, and not someone off the street. I know that Zara Tours do short trips for their climbers. You might want to contact them.