We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for school or orphanage to assist

I haven't done a complete search in the forum for this so I apologize if there is a thread, didn't see anything as I scanned threads.

We will be traveling in December and have an extra day from arrival to climb start. We've already discussed brining extra t-shirts and any gear-stuff that to hand to the porters on our trip. But we'd like to plan something for a school/child place as well that we could visit on our day in Arusha. We are thinking small toys, books or school supplies.

Can anyone direct us to a link/organization to work with to make a selection and set up a plan?

Thanks

44 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Certainly! I worked with Seeway Orphanage the last time I was in Tanzania. They are a bit far off from the city (around an hour and a half by dala dala), but here is their website anyways: http://swtz.org/ Two women run the program, and they're from California and the UK.

The other volunteers from the volunteer abroad organization I went with (Projects Abroad) went to Tumaini Africa http://www.tuchifo.com/

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

You might want to look at Good Hope Orphanage and School just outside Arusha. Their web site is www.goodhopeorphanage.org/

London, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

I don't have the name of a specific orphanage for you but do have a little advice. I'm not as experienced as many on the forums (I have been to tz once, for 5 weeks last summer). I took some toys, books and school supplies (pencils, paper etc.) in the hope of finding a worthwhile cause. My tour operator arranged for me to visit the good hope school and orphanage. It was a great project and I was extremely impressed by what they were doing. However, they had an abundance of donations all over the place, most likely because they are one of the more established places. I'm not saying don't support them, but I personally couldn't bring myself to leave the things I brought there when there was stacks of unused stuff in the orphanage.

I was lucky enough to be staying with a host family who was able to take me to a much more "makeshift" orphanage where a couple had just started taking orphans into their home because they had nowhere else to go. The "family" was barely scraping by and there was not a toy to be seen anywhere. It was great to give these kids the stuff that I'd brought.

So that was a really long winded way of saying that if you possibly can, I would advise trying to find somewhere that is not on the "tourist map" because they are more likely to have nothing (and hence be able to make more use of what you bring). I'm reliably informed by my host family that these little orphanages (the one I went to had 14 orphans which isn't an insignificant number!) are all over the place and that most locals would be able to point you to one when you arrive.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,627 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Lcb47. Good for you for understanding that so many off the tourist route are in such dire need, and thank you for speaking up. It is amazing just how hard it is for so many that are just a few miles off the main routes. However, when a traveller has so little time or experience, it is hard to know where to go or can take the time to get there.

Hmm, OP, I see you have a soccer player for an avatar. Soccer, or football is huge in Tanzania. You could see if your league has excess uniforms and a team in Tanzania would love to have it. Of soccer balls for schools. That red soil wears a ball our after about four games and they are expensive.

Or, there is an organization called Stuff Your Rucksack which has lists of what ot bring and where to deep. Also, a number of TOs in Tanzania support this organization which has many recipients in Arusha. Maybe you can find something here you are interested in. packforapurpose.org/docs/countries/tanzania/

Please understand when I say this, that there are many people in need particularly children but they do not always inderstand Western 'stuff' and we really don't want to contribute to raising children who grow up always expecting handouts. I know it is your generous heart and wanting to see happy faces, but it needs to be done sensitively and know that their Mamma knows best of what they need and when to distribute.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Hello,

There many School and Orphanage centers who demand support.

We will be in Arusha on December and if you like our assistance will take you to schools/Orphanage which we are sure really need support.

Many local schools have No website as well emails address

I really appreciated your aim to support Tanzanians children.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

I agree with QM and others, make sure you find a place that really needs the things you take, and make sure you actually take things they want. Maybe the company arranging your kili climb can help if they are a local company. We have visited quite a few schools in the past and some have much better supplies and facilities than others. We actually asked our safari guide to take us to his daughter's school in Arusha. We were the first visitors they had had for about a year. Consequently they were every excited to see us. The headmaster spent about an hour showing us round, we took footballs, frisbees, skipping ropes etc. All the kids ( and staff ) were very excited to receive these, the looks on their faces were just great.

We have actually found that it is better to spend you money actually paying for a child's education rather than on buying items that they may or may not need. Just a thought.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

These are all good suggestions. In my opinion, most of the orphanages in the Arusha area get plenty of "things" from the tourist trade which is always there. That would include Moshi also, as it is in the Arusha area. In order to get away from this you will need to get in-country about an hour or so and you will still find many orphanages which will need your things, whatever they are.

There are many orphanages all over Tanzania (and Kenya for that matter). There are many orphans there, not orphans in our sense of the word, but nonetheless orphans. They are orphans for many reasons, sometimes it's because they have no parents, sometimes it's because they have no father or the father has ran away, and sometimes it's because there are too many kids in the family and they cannot support them so they abandon them. HIV is a big factor in all this, but not the only factor. And those around the Arusha/Moshi area know they can get some support from the tourist trade. I can take you to many other places in Tz where there are just as many orphans, but are left with little outside support and kind of survive on their own somehow.

I think this poster asked specifically for somewhere in Arusha to visit, so like all the others they will most probably get somewhere that already has outside support of some kind.

What I've discovered over the years is that this kind of thing done in certain areas of the country is mostly for the person doing the giving than it is for those receiving. That may seem like a rather harsh statement, but it's the reality that I've seen; and I'm not condemning it by saying this. And I've also seen/overheard their headmistress tell them in Swahili to act excited so that they get more. Don't mean to burst any bubbles but they do know how to react to get the most from someone. And if they get too many "things" which they cannot use, they will sell them in the markets to get money for operational expenses.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Thanks all, very good thoughts and advice and gives me more places to search and look before our trip. I appreciate all your help and advice!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Do you really need to support schools, there are so many schools in Zanzibar need your support, in Zanzibar alone about hundred, I can suggest if you want to support.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for school or orphanage to assist

Do you really need to support schools, there are so many schools in Zanzibar need your support, in Zanzibar alone about hundred, I can suggest if you want to support.

Reply to: Looking for school or orphanage to assist
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted