We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maasai Jewelry

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Maasai Jewelry

I have some questions about Maasai Jewelry.

I'm going to climb Kili then take a short, two day safari to Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro before heading back to Arusha. I'd love to see a Maasai village but I don't have it pre-arranged and doubt there will be time. However, my question is this: Will there be places along the way to either of those parks that will have jewelry for sale? Naturally, I prefer to buy it straight from the person who made it but dunno if that's even possible.

If not, what's the situation at the Maasai Market in Arusha? I hate to sound daft but is that just the name of a market OR are there truly Maasai there selling things?

Finally, I realize prices are going to vary depending on the piece and the intricacy of the item; however, what price range would one expect to pay for things of this nature?

As always, I appreciate the advice and guidance I receive from you all. :)

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maasai Jewelry

Hope you are ready to have a time of your life in Tanzania.During your trip you will get a chance to see alot of small vendors selling Masai Jewelry especially along Uhuru road in Arusha.The Masai Market is near the popular Arusha school towards "Fire road" there you will find Masai people actually making and selling jewelry onsite,just ask your safari company/guide or the accommodation you are staying at to take you there.I can't pin point the prices exactly,but they can be anything from $3.00 to $50.00 for the jewelry and up to $350 if you go for high ticket items like masks .Also something to take note is they only take cash.Hope this helps..Hakuna Matata

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maasai Jewelry

Thanks! This is very helpful and the price range you gave me was precisely what I was looking for! I realize it would be impossible to pinpoint anything but I just needed an idea for budgeting purposes. Thanks again!

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maasai Jewelry

I bought some pieces from a curio shop for my wife and kids in Jan 2013 in Arusha. Paid $3 for ear rings. $10 to $20 for fancy necklaces. The round disk ornaments they wear around their necks can go from $20 to $60 depending on size and the work put into them. All USD cash of course and you can bargain if your buying several items for a discount. They also do cloth prints etc which can range in price from $20 upwards.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maasai Jewelry

Ask your guide to take you but a hint- in Arusha itself on the streets around the clock tower it will be cheaper than out near the parks.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maasai Jewelry

In case no one else told you, don't forget to bargain. Have fun.

6. Re: Maasai Jewelry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:07 am, April 25, 2013
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maasai Jewelry

It doesn't need to be USD cash, at all. I've always used Tanzanian shillings. And bargaining is appropriate even if only purchasing one item. Unless, perhaps, if you are in a 'fancy' store.

8. Re: Maasai Jewelry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 27, 2014