We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Training for the climb ?

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Training for the climb ?

OK, less than 2 months to go before I make my summit attempt. My TO sent an email out today that kinda scared me, and probably rightly so. Basically they are checking in with each member of the team to make sure you are adequately preparing for your climb. Are you "sweating" enough. Paraphrasing here: Inadequate fitness will have a negative impact on the team. If you come unprepared then you are basically a weak link. Ok, it was phrased more nicely than what I just said but it got me thinking.....Am I training enough? Anyone care to review? Feedback much appreciated.

Basics: 50 yr women

While I won't give my weight, let's just say I am "curvy" and sturdy!

3 days a week, I walk to work= 3miles hilly round trip with a 15 pound pack

My job is VERY active (read=I am a nurse)

3 days a week I do the elliptical for 45-60 mins and sweat like a pig. Also do ab workout and weights after aerobic work out.

One day a week, on my walk home from work I do hill repeats. I do a frickin million of them with a 15-20 pound pack.

One day a week, I do a 5-8 hour (10-16 miles) hike up my little mountain of 2,500 feet starting from sea level.

One day a week I take ibuprofen and drink heavily to make up for the other days of the week!

Is this enough or am I just gonna be the weak link that they all groan at and roll their eyes at?????

Thanks

Susie

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Training for the climb ?

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to weather on Mt.Kilimanjaro. It was September 23rd 2011 when our trek started. We had rain, sleet, snow, sometimes all in the same day. Two nights before the summit it was -15C each night. After summiting we spent the night at Crater Camp (just below summit). That night was even colder and everything in my tent froze except what I could stuff in the sleeping bag with me. Did I expect this extreme cold, not really. Was I prepared, yes. So hakuna matata.

12. Re: Training for the climb ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, December 17, 2013