We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shidolya tours

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shidolya tours

I just received a nice itinerary and price on a safari from Shidolya Tours. I have seen people say that they are a good company in a list of reputable companies, but have not seen any reviews of actual trips. Has anyone used this company, and what were your experiences? Thanks

42 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Shidolya tours

Thanks for all the replies. What we learned dealing with Shidolya during that trip definitely taught us good lessons on many aspects. Our next trip is trekking Inca Trail, I sure had used the experience from the Kilimanjaro climb to carefully select the trekking operator.

Why TA removed those reviews?

Canton of Geneva...
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shidolya tours

​Hi. I looked at many agencies to book a safari in Tanzania and it is true that Shidolya tours gave me the best quote with what seemed like a nice package of 6 days-5 nights safari. As instructed I charged $1000 on my credit card as down payment.

That said, I had never discussed cancellation policy with them --and in retrospect I could not find any cancellation policy notifications/instructions on their website.

Unfortunately my trip got cancelled. I notified them (was chatting with a lady named Joan) 24 days before our trip, which I thought would be more than enough for at least 50% refund. To my surprise she replied that it would not be possible to cancel and that I would loose my down payment.

I was not offered partial refund or even credit to use the money in the future.

I would strongly discourage you to do business with them based on my recent experience, or at least make sure you discuss cancellation policy etc with them in advance and have them documented in writing. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shidolya tours

It is unfortunate that you lost your deposit. However, these type of cancellation practices are very common among tour operators the world over. In fact, most operators would have required you to have paid in full 45 to 60 days in advance of the tour. Once you finalize your plans, the tour operator is required to make payment to the lodgings in order to hold your place. When you cancel, especially on short notice, they are out the money and unable to return it to you. You are being unfair to Shidolya by saying people should avoid them for this reason when you are the person cancelling at the last minute. In the future I suggest buying trip insurance so you can avoid this problem.

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shidolya tours

I feel very badly for your experience.

However. we have traveled all over the world and when we book we are given the cancellation policy, which states cancel so much before and you get a certain percentage refund. I would never assume that I would be refunded a certain amount without having that spelled out beforehand. I'm not talking about just TZ TOs, but those showing us the way all over the world. Irongirl spells out the reasons why. This seems an unfair criticism of the TO.

chris

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Shidolya tours

<< I had never discussed cancellation policy with them >>

^^Therein lies your problem ^^

Before I signed on any dotted Lines, I read and confirmed with my TO the terms of my contract. And then I took out a travel insurance policy to cover me in case of cancellations. I agree with the two prior posters - this is an unfair review of the TO based on what I believe to me your failure to ask for information on their cancellation policy. While I have some sympathy for your plight, it is the clients' responsibility to make sure they have and understand the terms of their contract.

Edited: 3:53 pm, January 06, 2014
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shidolya tours

I'm sorry you had a bad experience-a good case for reading the fine print. I am confused, though, because when I booked my trip with Shidolya earlier in the year, they did not accept credit cards-only wire transfers, and I never ran across anyone in the office named Joan, instead, the owner, Lazarus Mafie always answered my emails. Are you sure you had the right company name? Maybe you should have used the forum before today to research and ask questions about your trip.

Edited: 5:20 pm, January 06, 2014
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Shidolya tours

I agree. Very unfortunate that you had to cancel. What was the reason as most cancellations would be covered by your trip insurance.

As others have stated cancellations cost money and usually last minute, within 30 days of departure, do not refund any money. This is general throughout the travel industry as funds have been laid out on clients behalf and it is unfair and unrealistic to expect any refund, even had the full amount been paid over.

That is why you should take out trip insurance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Shidolya tours

We did a budget 4 day 3 night safari of the Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater with Shidolya in December 2013 after doing thorough research, and price comparisons. I think we were very lucky to have Basil Thomas as our guide as he was a very friendly, considerate, knowledgeable and an overall nice person. Sidiki our cook never failed to surprise us with delicious food with such limited resources. We had an amazing experience, saw many animals and I can truly say that it was a trip of a lifetime. Many thanks to Basil, Sidiki and the Shidolya team.

Mentioned in this post
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Shidolya tours

Hi,

We are looking at this tour company. Did anyone work with a Marc Baseeporte? Someone mentioned there being another company with the same name, I don't want to call for that trip.

Thanks for any help and guidance!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Shidolya tours

The owner of Shidolya Tours and Safaris is Lazarus Mafie, and he was the only one I communicated with. This information is included on the Shidolya correct website. If you need more information, let me know. I had a great trip with them, and they were my cheapest quote. The correct website is http://www.shidolya-safaris.com. (I am not advertising for the company, just supplying information.)

Edited: 6:10 pm, May 22, 2014
Reply to: Shidolya tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted