We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha Information

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
2 posts
Save Topic
Arusha Information

I am a writer, and will be in Arusha in July. Is there a museum, historical society, and/or public library?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha Information

There is a museum located at the end of Boma street up from the clock tower in the city center. Since Tz is called the cradle of civilization it features much of the work of the Leakeys. They also have some historical items from Arusha. I think at times they also have some contemporary people there doing their thing. In the back they have a taxidermy school and a lot of mountings.

The public library is rather small and lacking current books. It's located on Sokoine Street just across the bridge (walking distance from the clock tower).

There are more facilities such as this in Dar es Salaam. Dar has a National Museum and Zanzibar does also.

Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha Information

Thank you, Karl. I should add that I am interested more in historical information. Also interested in info circa independence, as well as the role of the Lutherans in TZ history. (I lived in TZ in the 40s and 50s.)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha Information

For Tz history you may be better off at the National Museum in Dar. I think they have more information on that period.

For Lutheran hisory there you might want to talk with David Simonson who still lives in Arusha, one of the 1st missionaries. He lives up the Ilboru Road (up Mt. Meru a tad) and he probably knows more about Lutheran history in Tz then most people, because he lived it. For Lutheran history you might also try the ELCT Headquarters located in the Lutheran House on Boma Road just up from the clock tower, or the Arusha Diocese offices located on India Street.