We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

Ok so after my experience with Basecamp Tanzania, I figured I had to give a review even more positive than all the others!

So basically , my mother, step father, a friend and i booked a kilimanjaro climb (rongai route) and a safari to serengeti and ngorongoro. They were amongst the cheapest safari/kili companies around and had rave reviews on the internet so we figured they were a good option. Achmed (the owner) organised all the transport for my parents (they were arriving from nairobi) who were there when my friend and I arrived at L'oasis lodge. The next day we planned our safari and then prepared and departed the following day. The Safari was amazing (as other people have said, Thomas was an AWESOME guide with brilliant eyes) and we had a great time seeing so much game thanks to his brilliance, as we drove through the gorgeous green serengeti/ngorongoro crater. As it was springtime there were many youngins too (baby leopards/cheetahs/lions...).

The only hiccup that occured was when we had organised to have sleeping bags for our safari and these got messed up with another group. When Achmed found out though, he had our sleeping bags FLOWN IN to the serengeti landing strip with the daily plane, and in the meantime Thomas bought us Masaai blankets!

After a rest day at L'oasis and preparation for kili with discussion of the route which was tailored to our needs, we headed off for the mountain. However, during the climb my friend got exceptionally sick and it wasn't altitude sickness. She was vomitting, couldn't eat, was terribly weak (though to her credit INSISTED on walking with absolutely 0 energy). She had to be stretchered down from one camp to another and was unable to make the summit with my step father and I. Even upon descent from kili she wasn't better. We spoke with Achmed and he offered to provide us with a car and driver for the next day during which is wife (the GORGEOUS Zeinab!) accompanied us to the medical centre. The driver who chaffeuered us around and took us wherever we needed, was just "part of the service," as Achmed said, at no extra expense. We found out my friend had severe Malaria (contracted from Malawi where she was just before) and was put on drip medication. Our initial plan after kili was to fly from Nairobi to Egypt and as we all had different flights we were going to meet up in Cairo. My parents had the first flight and left whilst I stayed with my friend. It seemed like the medication was working at the hospital and they thought she would be fine to make her flight. So I took my flight next and she was to follow the day after.

Whilst I was still there and also when I was heading to Nairobi, Zeinab continuously came by with food for Bianca and helped to feed her. Achmed came by to check on her too (as well as our guide from kilimanjaro and assistant guide, who were all genuinely concerned). During my bus trip to nairobi however, my friend took a turn for the worst. It was discovered she had cerebral Malaria. Achmed sent me an sms when I was at the airport indicating she was to be flown to Nairobi with royal flying doctors as her condition was critical. Consequently I cancelled my flight so I could be with her. Zeinab again accompanied Bianca in the ambulance on the way to the plane in Arusha, taking care of her the whole time. meanwhile Achmed was liasing with us, sorting out the nitty-gritties the hospital needed to know (such as travel insurance for the plane etc).

Thankfully in Nairobi, with more advanced medical facilities, Bianca made a remarkable recovery but the whole time Achmed kept in touch to ensure she made good progress.

I thought it was amazing that Achmed and his wife did so much for us - never asking for a cent more and genuinely caring for Bianca in a time of desperate need. We really couldn't have asked for more. If they hadn't been there when she had taken the turn, who knows what would've happened....?

SO basically I THOROUGHLY recommend them to anyone who's considering a budget range safari/kili expedition and doesn't want to skimp on quality/care/ awesome fun. Achmed himself will admit he's an 'old fekker' as others have put it, but he's a brilliant old fekker at that!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

BASECAMP Tanzania the best - What can I say, Achmed was great, responsive, up front, detailed complete itineraries, available any time and Robert our guide was great. We booked a trip last minute and our accomodations were stellar, especially at Tarangire.. wow, waking up to the lions roaring is PRICELESS! :)

We are ready to book our next trip with them in 2013 :)

Our itinerary was as follows:

Tarangire (1 day)

Lake Manyara (1 day)

Serengeti (2 days)

Ngonrongo Crater (1 day)

Arusha (1 day)

Zanzibar (7 days)

We wouldn't change a thing except next time try to arrige in Tanzania during the migration however I will note, that we did see the BIG 5 includine TWO leopards in ONE DAY! Robert our guide I think was the safest driver out on the roads while all the other 4x4 where flying past us on gravel I felt safe with Robert in the vehicle but still weary of all the other drivers!

Highly recommended!

Thanks Achmed!

22. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, November 25, 2013
23. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:23 am, November 26, 2013
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

Ronald..If that is really who you are...your post here is inappropriate and I wonder at your motives of such a personal attack.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,809 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

R0nald225. Way out of order there my friend. So you joined Trip Advisor today JUST to bad mouth a regular contributor? Of course you are correct. We ALL believe you!

26. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, November 25, 2013
27. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:20 am, November 26, 2013
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

ROnald

Your up late for somebody in Arusha.This forum is about travel and related topics your comments are not acceptable here. If this is really what happened the correct procedure would be to report the matter to the police not on a public forum.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

The Arusha post has been removed, as it should be.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
232 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Basecamp Tanzania - AMAZING and far beyond the 'call-of-duty

Although Achmed and Zainab obviously went way beyond the call of duty here, I am not the least bit surprised. When we had to cut our safari short by a day at the last minute due to airline problems, Achmed refunded us the last night's hotel charge (hand-delivering it to us in cash) even before he knew whether or not the lodge was going to refund Basecamp. "If they don't we'll deal with that later" were his words. This is a company that stands as a model of how a business should (and usually doesn't) operate. I'm about to book our second safari with Basecamp and am not going to bother with getting quotes from any other companies.