We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
246 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Hello, all. This is a really fluff question, and I apologize in advance, but I hope someone might know.

I have a friend who is a John Wayne movie memorabilia collector. I'd like to bring him back something from Tanzania, where the J.W. movie "Hatari" was filmed. Do the souvenir stands in Arusha have any John Wayne postcards, or anything along those lines? Do I need to make a special trip to the Hatari Lodge for lunch one day to find something like that? It was actually something I was thinkign about doing, anyway... the lunch at Hatari Lodge. But if I can find some little token in Arusha, would probably be good for me to save the time and expense.

Thanks! I leave in four weeks and can hardly wait.

Sandi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Hey Sandi,

The only John Wayne thing I can think of is the Hatari Bar at the New Arusha Hotel. I do not think you can get any memorabilia there.. but it is worth a try. And I can honestl say that I have never seen a John Wayne post card with the movie poster on it.

There is a copy of the poster in the New Arusha Hotel, in the bar.

Also to note.The Hatari Lodge is not where the movie was filmed. And for the life of me (I have rattled my head a few times!!) cannot remember the name of the lodge.

Part of the movie was filmed in Kruggers farm (Ngongongare Farm) not at Hatari Lodge.

Here are some sites

http://www.ntz.info/gen/n01259.html

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Idnas hi I have a hatari film poster one of the originals which I bought over the internet. I have also drank at the bar of the Safari Hotel many times.

I was also, fortunate to have as a friend somebody who cooked for the film crew, she told me many stories from those years. I didnt write them down but others did. If you type in Hatari Lodge in Google it will tell you a bit about the history of the lodge also mentions the film and where it was made, and how Hatari Lodge became what it is today.It was owned by Harry Kruger and also previously the Trappe family.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Idnas hi I have a hatari film poster one of the originals which I bought over the internet. I have also drank at the bar of the Safari Hotel many times.

I was also, fortunate to have as a friend somebody who cooked for the film crew, she told me many stories from those years. I didnt write them down but others did. If you type in Hatari Lodge in Google it will tell you a bit about the history of the lodge also mentions the film and where it was made, and how Hatari Lodge became what it is today.It was owned by Harry Kruger and also previously the Trappe family.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

sorry for the double entry they did advise the post had failed

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
246 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Thank you both for the thoughtful and helpful replies. I appreciate it!

Sandi

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Idnas71 Hi I was more than interested in your post, and thought about it a bit. The film was partly filmed at Momella lodge and in South Masaii land south of Lake Manyara,also at the Maasai wells past Naberra. Part of Momella lodge and the original bar is still there. There is a John Wayne Bar at the New Arusha Hotel but it is not the bar in the movie, and has nothing from that era. The original bar was at the Safari Hotel which is now owned by the Luthern Church, and is not a bar any more. Years ago you could still go into that bar and there would be old hunting photos on the wall,and other stuff from that era,people would drink at the bar where John Wayne stood. I am talking now in the early 1980's. Momella lodge is still there inside Arusha National Park and has great views of Mt. Kiliminjaro.Hatari Lodge is the site of the original farm house of Harry Kruger.

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
246 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

Thanks for the additional info, Expert. (I couldn't bring myself to address you as your full name after the informative reply!)

I admit, I have not watched Hatari, myself. I really should before I go. Have to check out my movie rental place SOON!

Sounds like I am going to have to settle for a visit to the New Arusha Hotel bar for a little J.W. "canned" ambience and some photos. It should be fun.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

You can also still go to the New Safari Hotel on Boma street up from the Arusha Hotel. Both these hotels were almost completely remodeled a few years ago and fortunately almost nothing remains of the original (the Safari Hotel was really in a shambles).

The Safari Hotel is now owned by the KKKT which is the Lutheran Church in Tz, and the Tanzania Lutheran Church (unlike most Lutheran churches in the world, I am a Lutheran) is a tea-tootler denomination, meaning they don't drink alcoholic beverages and they frown on that, thus no bar in the Safari Hotel. Many clients of the Safari Hotel go across the street to the bar in the Equator Hotel. I've talked to them about this and the need for a tourist hotel to have a bar, but they are adamant about this stand.

9. Re: Souvenirs in Arusha (John Wayne?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2010