We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha to Nairobi by road during the rainy season

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arusha to Nairobi by road during the rainy season

Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you to all of the regular contributors to these Tanzania forums for their helpful advice. In planning our family's trip to Tanzania in May your detailed advice has been an absolute treasure.

We will be travelling through the interior of Tanzania for three weeks in May. I will be flying out of Nairobi (ahead of my family) on May 28, at about 11:30pm. We had been planning on being in the Tarangire Conservation Area as our last destination (or at least my last destination, before my flight out.)

My question is how much in advance of my flight I should leave Arusha. I know that it typically takes 5-6 hours, and that there are currently road works that are slowing down traffic; but I'm worried that if there is flooding on the road I may miss my flight if I try to travel back the same day. Should I plan on taking the bus a day or two earlier to be on the safe side?

A slightly unrelated question has just occurred to me. We were interested in taking the Dodoma road up to Tarangire. In an earlier post, from January, Karl Gingrich mentions the Arusha-Dodoma road as his favourite hellish road in Tanzania!! Sounds temptingly awful! We are hardy travellers and would be doing it in order to not have to repeat the Arusha-Morogoro road; we enjoy seeing the sights travelling by bus and don't mind a few bumps, but on the other hand do not want to be miserable the whole way. :) Probably the bigger concern is whether, around May 22, the road will be passable at all. What do you think?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice -- they will be very much appreciated!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Arusha to Nairobi by road during the rainy season

"One thing which I failed to mention about the road from Dodoma to Arusha, do not travel on this road at night and it is dangerous to not be in a vehicle in certain parts. There are known bandits in an area South of Kondoa (about half way between Kondoa and Dodoma) and if you find yourself here at night only proceed through with an armed guard, which I have done on several occasions. You can pick up an armed guard at the road gate, I think I paid him 40,000 TSH to ride with us. In this same general area always stay in your vehicle as there are rogue lions and elephants which sometime wander into the area and you don't want to meet up with them on foot."

Karl...I cannot beleive I am going here. And by here, I mean to Tanzania and this general area. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever be able to see these places except on my beloved NatGeo Channel! Your posts...all of the experts posts...are incredibly informative, let alone descriptive! Thank you so much and I apologize for hijacking this post,

12. Re: Arusha to Nairobi by road during the rainy season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:37 am, October 23, 2009