We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Tanzania in Feb,2008. We plan to arrive in Arushia and wondoer whether we should use our local travel agents in Denmark, or we should plan for getting cheap air-fare and organize everything ourselves.

We have someone to visit in the surroundings of Arusha, but except for that we are open for suggestions.

A safari trip is compulsary though.

We have 14 days.

Which safaris can be recommended this time of the year.

Any local safari operators to be recommended.

Other sites and things to do are more than welcome.

Thanks

Ole

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Shadows of Africa
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

I would suggest that you get a safari operator who is from Tanzania, they know where the animals will be at the time of year that you will be there, where to go and what to do. You can find many operators on the member page of www.tatotz.org, which is the Tz association of touring operators. As to where to go I would suggest that you visit the Serengeti as the great migration will be there at that time, also in Ngorongoro Crater there are always a lot of animals, and you may want to go to either Tarangire or Lake Manyara.

Since I don't know what your interests are it is difficult to suggest other things; but I would suggest that you visit some cultural areas and visit with the people of Tanzania.

You will find many suggestions on this forum if you begin to do some searches here. I hesitate to recommend specific safari operators because I don't know what you think would make for a good safari. Some on this forum do make recommendations, but you should take those as a mostly one time experience with nothing to compare to.

The driver/guide whom you will get for your safari will be the person who really makes the safari for you as he will be with you for the entire safari time. Fortunately, most of the driver/guides have been to a training school for guides, know a lot about how to give you a good experience, and are good people. They will try their best to have you experience a good safari because they would love to get a good tip from you at the end of the safari, and they know that if you didn't have a good experience then their tip will reflect that.

All safari operators need to be licensed, which means that if you use someone from your area or country then they will not be your safari operator; rather they will subcontract with someone from Arusha who will be licensed and charge you for this service; and they may or may not actually know the company they are subcontracting with. Better that you go straight to the source, and if you contact several companies then you will get the feel for one you are comfortable with. Almost all are on tatotz.org are reliable and will provide you with a good safari. Some will cost more then others. They will all take you to see the same animals.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,486 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

I have to agree with Karl. A Danish Agent will only sub contract to someone in Arusha so better to go there direct. It is not difficult with EMail these days. Pick three or four from www.tatotz.com and ask them to quote. Ask for names of satisfied clients so you can check.

You will get a sense of comfort with one or two. Go with your senses. Maybe your friends arond Arusha will have some idea.

In February your direction will be Serengeti as far as Serenera with visits to Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara and Tarangire. Even Arusha NP.

With 14 days you will be able to take things at a nice pace and avoid rushing.

From Aarhus, route via Amsterdam and KLM flight into Kilimanjaro would be best.

Good luck

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Thanks to both of you. I will certainly look into your suggestions and it seems like we have plenty of time to get organised.

Getting really excited.

Ole

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Ole... don't wait too long to make your bookings, especially if you want to be in certain accommodations. Some get booked up quickly, so the sooner you do this the better.

5. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:56 pm, November 07, 2007
6. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:56 pm, November 07, 2007
7. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 1:03 pm, November 07, 2007
Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Hi Ole,

for february the southern part of the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (with Lake Ndutu) are some of the most interesting places because of the migration.

But i would start to organize as soon as possible because many accomodations are full-booked and it depends on which accomodations still have availability.

If you are interested in some pics of the different parks in the northern circuit, maybe the following website with our pics might help you a little bit. The site is in german, but if you click on the names of the parks on the left site there are opening new buttons with Fotos or Diashows. Then you can get a slight impression of the different landscape of the parks:

www.eastafrican-safari.com

Bye

Chrissy

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Karl,

Thanks for the tips on the tour operators site. I used it to validate a few operators that were recommended to me.

FYI, the web site is .org, not .com

www.tatotz.org

Nairobi
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Organizing safari - tips on tour guides and where to go?

Ole,

Sure Tanzania is very exciting and am sure you will enjoy a well planned trip. I would definitely recommend Serengeti National park coz of the migration, Ngorongoro crater is also a must then you could add Lake Manyara.

Tour operators there are several that you can use to organize the safari Leopard are good. You can also try to get the accommodation from the lodges and then you plan your airfare ( This is tidious though). You can try Serena Hotels and they can provide accommodation in all the areas and maybe if you are lucky they could have an already made package for you.

Wish you all the best in your trip and please carry your camera and at least take a balloon safari over Serengeti.

Regards,

Harris