We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kigongoni lodge

Which Arusha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines
6 posts
Save Topic
kigongoni lodge

I just wanted to plug Kogongoni Lodge. We stayed there about a month ago. It is between Arusha and KIA and has a website. It gives some of its profits to benefit a nearby home for mentally disabled children.

Kigongoni was by far the nicest place we stayed. The cottages (set in a lush tropical landscape) are beautiful! They are very private with their own little patio or deck looking out to the valley below and Mt Meru(?) in the distance.

The food was great and they let us stay in a room until 5 pm without charging us extra because our flight didn't leave until 8 pm.

Also the internet was free and for Tanzania, pretty fast.

One thing that could be a problem for some people are all the steps down to the cottages from reception and dining areas. There are some cottages that are closer without quite as many steps.

Boise
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: kigongoni lodge

That's great to hear as my wife and I will be staying there for 2 nights when we start our safari in Feb/Mar '08. I noticed in the pics on their site the rooms have mosquito nets. Did you have to use them? Just curious about the mossie situation :)

Des Moines
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kigongoni lodge

We were surprised at how few mosquitoes there were. We were not bothered by mosquitoes during our whole time in Tanzania. Of course, I think we were there during the dry season, which might be part of the reason.

Every place we stayed had mosquito netting. Sometimes we used it and sometimes we didn't

Hope you have a great trip!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kigongoni lodge

There's fewer mosquitoes in Arusha and in the higher elevations, and especially during the dry seasons, then other places in Tz. I seldom worry too much about mosquitoes when I'm in Arusha. However, they are there, and it's always a good idea to ask for the room to be sprayed to get any strays. They do carry malaria, and it's not worth the chance.

Boise
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kigongoni lodge

good to hear, pauline!

Karl - is asking to get the room sprayed something that is acceptable to do? I don't want to offend anyone or come across as a naive tourist! :) Is that something available at every place and would do it at every place? We are staying at the following:

Kingongoni

Kirumumu Tented Lodge

Serena Sopa at the Ngorongoro

Ndutu Lodge

Thanks!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kigongoni lodge

jeepman,

never be afraid to ask for the room to be sprayed.

It is usually automatic whilst your bed is being turned down while you are at dinner. They may come to your table to ask for your room/tent key.

This certainly happens at KTL and Ndutu, you may have to ask at Ngorongoro Sopa and Kigongoni but do so!

Enjoy your trip.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kigongoni lodge

Jeepman... It is not offensive, and if they had the money to do this they would do it at their homes also. They know better then you that mosquitoes carry malaria, and how deadly that is.

By the way, don't worry about being a naive tourist, or even about being offensive. (by that I don't mean for you to be offensive to anyone) They will all know that you are a tourist (I imagine that they could tell that by your skin, and if you happen to be African-American then some will most probably think it is unusual and amusing that a black person cannot speak Swahili) and that you come from a different culture, and they would seldom tell you if you did something offensive (it would be anti-cultural to them to do that). Just enjoy yourself, and if you have a question about something while you're there, just ask. And in like manner, don't be offended by what some of them may do or say - I've had quite a few ladies offended (or the older ones leave out a big chuckle) when a Tanzanian told them that they were fat, which of course we would never do to a lady but many of them see nothing wrong in saying that. Just a different cultural perspective.

Boise
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: kigongoni lodge

THanks everyone!! We're getting so excited and it's still 5 months away! We go to get our immunizations Oct 1.

8. Re: kigongoni lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 09, 2009