We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

San Diego...
8 posts
Save Topic
Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Has anyone heard of Mama Wilson's? Is it a B&B? We are doing a Tanzania safari next year with OAT. This is where we meet to start our safari. We have chose to do our own airfare with Mileage to upgrasde to first class, flying from San Diego. We will fly in a day early and are trying to get reservations for Mama's - can not find much on it, not listed on any of the websites for hotels/lodges in Arusha. If so, where is it located in Arusha? If we cannot get a room there we are looking at Kia or Mt Meru Lodges, looks like on the map they are close to the airport. Kilimanjaro Intl.

Any suggestions someone??

Thanks

SD Millers

Easy Travel & Tours Ltd
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Gosheni Safaris Africa
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Shadows of Africa
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
USA - Tanzania...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Mama Wilson's House is in the western part of Arusha on the main road to Nairobi.

Mama Wilson is currently doing some redesign work (to be finished within a month). Basically she is expanding her own house and client rooms are in the back of the property in a separate building. Rooms are basic but the main thing here is the personal attention by her and her staff, as well as the large upstairs dining room. There is also a pool and a large curio shop.

Olasit Lodge is a completely different place located on the main road to Arusha Airport (several miles south of Mama Wilsons). With 16 larger rooms and a huge pool it is a much bigger property. I think most OAT clients stay here (at least until the renovations at Mama Wilsons' are complete).

San Diego
Level Contributor
525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Thank you Eben for this update, this confirms what I thought. I found out that Kibo is their safari operator in Tz and emailed them. He said Olasiti Lodge too, but OAT keeps stating Mama Wilsons in their itenerary. I guess this refers to "or similar"

Thanks,

SD

maryland
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Hi All,

I see that your postings were a while ago so I am hoping that you are still active on this site. We were within seconds of booking an OATS Safari Serengeti trip when we stumpled across someones blog and saw the picutres of the tents that made us question the level of accomadation provided on this trip. I know it says: Luxary Tented but the picutre we saw did not look that way. We are not asking much, just something clean, not buggy, with clean bath room and food that may be just a step above camp food. What should we expect from this trip?

San Diego
Level Contributor
525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Dear future OAT traveler, I should have posted the results of my research right away. Kibo guides is the local operator used by OAT in Tanzania. They are very respected and experienced. You will be using all their accomodations,which are very nice. The tents are given a good review with inside plumming. A seperate dining tent as well. You can see the accomodations on the website Tanganyika wilderness.com Instead of Mamma Wilsons you will be staying at Olasiti Lodge. I found really good pictures of the tents at this website dicksandy.org click on top of the page - our trips - then Tanzania. You will see on the left the Serengeti Tents they went on the trip a few years ago. The website was very infmative. As most people say about OAT they were not dissapointed - not the best luxury tents but quite comfortable for a few days. We are on the count down now less then 90 days. Hope you decide to go as well.

Happy Taveles,

SD Traveler

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

Hi SD traveler

Are you going on the 9/2/08 trip? I am booked on that one with 6 others. Your post and the replies have been very informative

LA traveler

16. Re: Arusha - Mama Wilson's??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 01, 2009