We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

Which Hualien hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can help me with the following qns:

1. I ask a driver on this itinerary " Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei " and he changed the whole itinerary to Taipei-sml-Taichung-Cingjing-Hualien-Taipei. I do not know why he added Cingjing to the itinerary. Is it hard to go from TaiChung to Hualien or vice versa?

2. If I were to change route from Taipei-Yilan-Hualien-SML-Taichung-Taipei, which of these cities are out of the way in this route plan?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

1) Hualien and Taichung are separated by the Central Mountains. It takes about 6~7 hrs or more car drive through the mountain road from Taichung en route Cingjing and Taroko Gorge to reach Hualien. The Central Mountain scenery is nice though. Some people prefer to take the longer but more economical and comfortable route to Taipei city by direct bus or bus & HSR train combination before travelling down by railway train to Hualien city.

2) Taipei-Yilan-Hualien-SML-Taichung-Taipei is good sequence of travel. Hualien-SML will en route Taroko Gorge, Cingjing if travelling by mountain road.

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

Do you think I should skip yilan? I only have 9 days and looks like I have too many places to visit. I will not stay overnight at sml though.

Will Taipei to hualien be too long a journey if I take hsr or cab? Sometimes, cab seems to be cheaper than hsr, I feel...

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

Yilan is along the way from Taipei to Hualien. You can also travel by public bus to Yilan from Taipei and continue by railway train to Hualien.

HSR trains run along the western side of Taiwan and do not serve Hualien in Eastern Taiwan. Express railway train is a fast and convenient mode of travel between Taipei and Hualien. The train ride takes about 2 hrs 5 mins.

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

If I travel from hualien to cingjing, I heard the road is full of falling stones and it is an extremely long journey.

Kindly advise whether this is true.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

The weather plays an important part as the risk of falling rocks and landslide is much higher after rain. Avoid going to Taroko Gorge or travel that route if there is a rain, thunderstorm or typhoon. Watch your steps and do be cautious of falling rocks.

The entire journey from Cingjing to Hualien takes some 4 hrs excluding stopping time for sightseeing. There are many switchbacks along the winding mountain highway no. 14A, 8 and 9 due to the mountain valleys.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

Hi,

I'm planning a trip with my parents (in their late 50s) in April.

Does Taipei (1 night), Hualien (2 nights), Cingjing (1 night), Sun Moon Lake (1 night), Tai chung (2 night) and Taipei (1 night) sound too rush?

It seems like the better option is to take a private cab from Hualien to Cing Jing, from Cing Jing there are buses to SML. Or are there even better options?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Klang, Malaysia
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

Hi Tan S.

I just back from my trip with my parents, age about > than 50's. If you don't mind changing hotels every day, that would be fine. We personally find that it is ok to change hotel regularly. In my opinion, it is better to hire a cab driver and fetch you to all the destination. You can give him your itinerary and they will plan for you, and see whether will it be rush or not.

8. Re: Taipei-Hualien-sml-Taichung-Taipei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 19, 2015