We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

Hi,

My friends and i will be heading to Hualien this coming December. As this is our first time there, would appreciate if I can am able to get some advise here.

1. Is there a cycle route from Hualien to Taipei? Cause while browsing through the internet, alot of the netizens only introduce the route from Hualien to TaiTung and vice versa.

2. Is the weather suitable for cycling in December?

Thank you so much for the advise.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

Hi,

My friend and I cycled from Hualien to Taitung back in April 2013, which was nothing short of spectacular. There's a reason this route is recommended time and time again. That said, there are other routes in the country that also merit a mention. I didn't cycle from Hualien to Taipei, but I'm quite sure this section is part of the larger round-the-island route that is mostly coastal.

There's an extensive national network of cycling routes that brings you to almost any part of the country. If you're cycling northwards from Hualien and has the energy to cycle up a mountain, it goes without saying that you should make it up to Taroko Gorge on a bike. The turn-off is only about 20km from Hualien and it'll easily take you about 4-5 hours to climb up to Tianhsiang, including stopping for short treks in between, before you happily freewheel back to sea level in 50 mins.

Unless you really want to bring your ultimate kitted-out road bike from Singapore, I suggest you rent a touring bike from one of the many Giant Bicycles outlets scattered across the island. They provide great service and completes your ride with panniers, lights, locks and DIY kit. You just need to bring/purchase your own helmet. And you'll also enjoy the convenience of returning your bike to any store in the country. All these only for NT$1200 for the first 3 days and just a few hundred for subsequent days.

As for the weather in December, I can't really tell much apart from that it's winter and might be cold.

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

Hey Kenni-chin , Great to have you on board - With so many cyclists coming to town, it is great to have an enthusiast who has cycled some areas of Taiwan and can guide other similar minded cycling and hiking enthusiasts.

Singapore
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

Hi Sketch, bicycling is well encouraged by the Taiwan authority.

So extensively encouraged, as you will see in this web site:

www.taiwan.gov.tw/lp.asp…

These are the popular cycling routes in all North, South, Central, East - even offshore of Taiwan.

Eastern Taiwan on the left menu is the link you want to check out.

Have an inspiring ride!

TaipeiAlive :)

taipeidreams.com/free-taiwan-tour-ebook/

Taipei
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

I have cycled from Taipei to Hualien (in fact, that was a round island cycling)

The most common cycling route between Taipei to Hualine is alone HWY 9

http://goo.gl/maps/l5Kbg

Although It takes about 2 days to finish, It is very dangerous to cycle between Su-Ao & Xincheng.

The road is on the cliff and lot parts are only 2 lanes, and there are lots trucks here.

Sometimes there is no space for cycling when a truck passing by you.

Most cyclists will take train between Su-ao and Hualine.

That's why you can find find few cycling records.

--

Cycling in the East Rift Valley. …blogspot.tw/2013/08/cycling-in-east-rift-va…

hualien
Destination Expert
for Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

Yes, most ofmy cycling friends take the train from SuAo to Shincheng, or vv, as the roads in between are a little risky.

6. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, November 04, 2013
7. Re: Cycling Trip from Hualien to Taipei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 06, 2014