We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei train to Hualien

Which Hualien County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taipei train to Hualien

I can't book the ticket from Taipei to Hualien. When I key in random no for verification, it came out like this:

"Random Number Verification Failed !

Sorry ! The Random Number you have entered is not correct, please try again."

Please advice.

Perth
Level Contributor
570 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Thanks so much for the information dmhead3 - I was concerned something got "lost in translation" and I had misunderstood. :)

Leaving tomorrow just after midday (as it was the earliest train I could get on), I can't wait!

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Taiwan DIY, I will be travelling from Taipei to Hualien on Saturday..as usual can't get train tickets except for Taipei to Yilan...is it safe bet to continue using DRC from thereon...meaning would seats run out....

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Local or DRC (Diesel Rail Car) railway trains stopping at every station along its route are slow. They are without seat numbers and there is no advance booking of tickets. It is free seating.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Hi all, I also have a question on the trains between taipei and Hualien.

I went to the trains website, …tra.gov.tw/twrail/English/e_index.aspx#

and wanted to choose to Tze-Chiang Limited Express (Taroko Express) 234.

It says the station is from Shulin→Hualien.

1) Does this mean, I have to board from Shulin instead of Taipei Main Station?

I read alot of forumers taking the train from Taipei Main Station, so am little confused here

2) Also what is the difference between Via Mountain Line and not?

Thanks!

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Train or bus service are usually indicated by where its starting location is and its last stop location. You have to check on the route it travel to determine where it pass by. This can be done by clicking on the particular train number.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

oo ok thanks for the reply, yup i realise it by clicking on the train number!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

1) The train originates Shulin, goes via Taipei city and terminates in Hualien.

Click on the train class/code in the train schedule to see the names of the station stops along the train route where boarding and alighting are allowed.

2) Sea and Mount routes refer to the railway lines on Taiwan's western coast roughly between Changhua and Jhunan where there are two railway lines --one running nearer the sea coast (sea route) and another farther inland (mount route).

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Hi TaiwanDIY,

Thanks for your help. I will be reaching the airport at 12noon. Is it safe to take the Tze-Chiang 228 that departs at 1320 or better to wait for the Taroko Express 234 that departs at 1430?

I was also wondering if I can liase with u to help me with my itinary? Please email me at blue_nemesis@msn.com

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

Considering you will be reaching the airport at 12noon, it is probably very rushed to catch Tze-Chiang 228 departing Taipei Railway Station at 1320 hrs. Taroko Express 234 departing at 1430 hrs is a safer bet.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Taipei train to Hualien

I tried to do an online booking via TRA website but the dates available are only up to 13 May. Does the website only allows advance booking for 2 weeks ahead?