We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

Planning to travel from Taipei to Hualien and stay at Hualien for a couple of days..

Any minsu or hotels to recommend?

Which is more convenient and faster? Bus or Train?

I will be staying somewhere near Xi Men Ding.

I check the website for the trains http://163.29.3.98/TWRail_en//index.aspx but unable to book online. Is this train station accessible via Xi Men Ding?

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

If I were to travel from Taipei to Sun Moon Lake (stay for 1 night) and from there travel to Hualien..

Is this feasible?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

Train is definitely faster and more comfortable. The road from Taipei to Hualien is very scenic, but also extremely winding, narrow, and full of speeding trucks.

Train station is one subway stop away from Xi-Men-Ding. If you travel light, you can reach the train station by foot in less than 15 minutes.

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

Thank you very much pcheng!

So how do I purchase the tickets? Will it be fully booked if i decide to purchase the tickets on the spot?

And Should I travel Taipei > Hualien (4 days) > SML (1 day)> Taipei?

Its this route feasible?

Staying at Hualien for 4 days.. Is that abit too long?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
455 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

Train tickets can be purchased online at www.railway.gov.tw. You can only book tickets 2 weeks in advance.

4 days in Hualien is a little too long for the casual tourist. Most tour groups spend 1 day in Taroko, and maybe a second day visiting Li-Yu lake, seven-star beach, city sightseeing. If you have 2 extra days, I would suggest you venture further down south to Taitung, Greenisland, or maybe even Kenting.

It is possible to go directly from Hualien to SML, but quite expensive and inconvenient. You either have to book a cab, or try your luck with the bus, which only runs once per day if I remember correctly. Most people would train back to Taipei, then take the direct bus to SML.

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

Thank you for your suggestion!

I also think that 4 days is abit too long!

But how do i venture out to the places you suggested from Hualien? Is there a direct train that i can take?

I have troubles booking rail tickets online!! They keep saying that my IC is not recognized (im a singaporean) and the random number that i keyed in is wrong... which obviously is correct! coz i tried so many times already.. sigh

6. Re: Taipei to Hualien (Bus or Train??)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, October 16, 2009