We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport arrangement to Yushan

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

Hi, I'm planning for trip with my wife to Yushan Main Peak this Jan 14. However I've the following queries wrt transport arrangements:

1) We'll be traveling down from Taipei, should I transit via shuili (Taichung) or Chiayi to get to Tatachia? Should I stop by Alishan before heading for Tatachia? Is there any recommended budget accommodation at Alishan main bus station?

2) What are the transport options available? Public transport direct to Tatachia available?

3) In view of snowing during jan, will there be road closures?

4) What's the min. Grp size to trek up Yushan Main Peak if we're not engaging a guide?

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
220 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

Hi,

Treking to yushan needs permi n accommodation booking at the paiyun lodge up at 3400m below the summit. You have too book in advance to secure the place. Some locals even waited ages to climb. Yushan does have a closure period for the mountain to recover n also winter the routes may be closed. You can check the yushan national park for more details. What I cam suggest is join the local climbing group there. They can arrange the logistics n booking for u. Tatajia is a car park area for climbers to start their trek n also for park visitors to admire the fresh air n view of thr nearby mountain range. There could be bus from alishan to Tatajia, but please confirm this with the others. But during winter period may not be available.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
59 reviews
83 helpful votes
2. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

1. As woodstock mentioned, you will need to book paiyun lodge in advance. They won't give you an entry permission unless you have secured your accommodation.

2. Bus #6739 runs between SML and Alishan, passing Tatachia on the way. It leaves SML two times in the morning, Alishan two times in the afternoon. So you should departure from SML side. You can also join a local climbing group so they could arrange transportation for you.

3. I don't think there's a minimum group size for Yushan main peak. But there may be a limit for other peaks nearby. Also, it could be quite cold there in winter (below -10 C), so you have to prepare for that.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
3. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

Hi Woodstock and Poorjar, thanks for your advice. Yes I've previously made arrangement for accommodation at Paiyun Lodge, however awaiting confirmation. I was previously trotting between gg from SML or from Chiayi to Tatachia, but realized that there's more freq of buses gg to and flo Chiayi. Hence decided to go by Chiayi. But the uncertainty now is whether I'm able to take a transport up to Alishan from Chiayi and then transfer straight to Tatachia to commence my trekking to Paiyun lodge without having a need to stop by Alishan for a night before the trek. Do u think its possible?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
59 reviews
83 helpful votes
4. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

It's possible to departure Chiayi early in the morning (the first bus leaves at 6:10), then hire a cab at Alishan for Tatachia. However I'm not sure if you can easily find a cab there and how much will it cost. If you use public transportation for Tatachia, you will not make it to paiyun lodge before dark.

Edited: 10 years ago
Taipei
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
5. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

I will suggest you go to Tataka from SML @8am

http://sullivanchen.blogspot.tw/2013/03/SMLAlisan3DayTicket.html

Since it takes about 6 hours from Tataka to Paiyun, It is possible to arrive around 5pm

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
220 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
6. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

My suggestion is join a local climbing group. They will arrange everything for u for logistics. Have you done any high altitude climbing before? In terms of safety better to join the climbing group .The hiking trail to paiyun is clearly marked n only has one route. After paiyun there will be intersections to go elsewhere. The balloting system or application system also look at the leader or person leading the climb. So can be frustrating if you keep not getting it.

Singapore, Singapore
10 posts
7. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

Ok, noted on the transport timings and thanks all. Engaging a guided tour will me my alternative. Have done quite a few climbing trips, however due to limited info on the internet, it's challenging to plan for a trip in advance.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
220 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
8. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan
Save

You can visit the yushan national park website for climbing info n the paper work you need to submit for permits n accommodation at paiyun. I have a simple write up of my hiking trips to yushan too that you can read about. http://Peanutstravels.blogspot.com

9. Re: Transport arrangement to Yushan

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.