We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winterthur...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

Hello,

Please recommend a reliable and safe driver that is flexible to travel needs and can offer good local information for a tour in Sri Lanka for about 2 to 3 weeks? Please also provide details of what you found really good about the driver. Thanks!

Warm regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

Most of the Private Messages you will now get are from fakers and charlatans so please be very careful. In all honesty I would not take this approach to finding a driver. Would you get in a car with a complete stranger who approached you in the street? No, neither would I. There's very little difference though in making this post and then climbing into a vehicle with an unknown, unlicensed, probably uninsured stranger in a distant land.

Frankly this sort of post makes me despair.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

If I was you I would pm some of the de's and regular contributors on this forum. Most of them will know good, reliable drivers who they know and may use regularly. That's what I did and it worked perfectly. Good luck.

3. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 am, April 22, 2014
4. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:29 am, April 22, 2014
Edited: 9:29 am, April 22, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

You are going to get inundated with replies sadly, most of them fake.

Much better to take time and read reviews from people who have already been on a tour in Sri Lanka and then send them a PM to ask for details if you seem impressed by their report.

That's what I did, had a great trip last year and I'm going back next month.

Winterthur...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

Thanks all for your comments and contributions. Before I went to bed last night, there were 3 comments. The 3rd one offered some details and recommended a website. I had a look at the website and planned to PM the person that had made the post. But now I noticed that the post has been removed, so I can't locate the person that had posted it.

I'm a bit puzzled by this. If one can't raise a direct question and hope for direct responses, then I wonder how to tap into most up to data and neutral reviews. I had searched before I raised my question and found responses which I thought was not most recent. I understand there are risks, and exactly that's why I was going to PM those that responded with up to date information. Anyways, thanks for all your concerns. I guess I'm better off looking up a travel guide book :)

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

I think it's just that with that kind of post, you will often get so many messages without knowing whether those who responded are doing it for the right reasons.

As I said, pm-ing the regular contributors or DE's is a great way to ger recommendations. I'm also happy to share details of our great driver.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reliable driver for Sri Lanka Tour

Post 3 was not neutral it was probably posted by the driver mentioned pretending to be a genuine traveller. I.e. he lied to try to drum up business. Is that someone you want to drive you around? Almost anyone who responds to your question is going to be in this category. It's terribly sad really.

Get answers to your questions about Negombo