We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour from Negombo

Which Negombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour from Negombo

Hello helpful tripadvisor people!

We are going to be in Negombo for a few days and I thought about doing a day trip to Kandy but some people seem to think thats gonna be too far. Has anyone stayed in the Negombo area and gone out for a day? I don't want to stay over night anywhere cos we've already booked our hotel.

Any advice of where to go, approx prices and how you organised it would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,046 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour from Negombo

Hi there,

It would be two x 3.5 hours roughly. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

for descriptions, Kandy is on the edge of what is possible. Prices are based on Rs 45/km and for any daytrip destination that's times 2 of course; e.g. Kandy would be around Rs 11,000-12,000 for a return.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour from Negombo

You may get ideas here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour from Negombo

Hi,

Pinnawela elephant orphanage is another attraction on the way to Kandy.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour from Negombo

Hi

I would suggest you to do your Kandy trip as below. DE's will correct if I am wrong.

* Leave early (around 6 am) to cover many sights and return early (get packed your breakfast from the hotel)

* Visit pine apple garden and rubber tapping (both are close by and can be done within 45 minutes)

* Visit MEF (if you want to ride) or Pinnwala elephant orphanage

* Visit Botanical garden and temple of tooth (can avoid if you visit Dambulla temple)

* Kandy city and upper lake and Embilmeegama tea factory on the way back.

although above seems quit packed, can be done as I have experienced personally.

Have a great trip to Kandy.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,046 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour from Negombo

It's not wrong, it's just too packed to enjoy it in our eyes but all is subjective...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour from Negombo

I have been in contact with a guy called Asanka Fernando (found him on Trip Advisor's Negombo activities) and he has quoted 20 usd to take us to the following: fish market,Negombo temple,lagoon,church and town area,Dutch port. This seems crazy cheap! Also, he said we'd have to leave the hotel at 4am to do the fish market! This seems very early. Can people advise?

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tour from Negombo

Not necessarily at 4am (may be to see fishermen coming to shore) but better before 8-9 am without comprising a good sleep.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour from Negombo

Dear Lady.

We did a family holiday with Asanka Fernando, from 26th July 2013, for 10 days, right across from Colombo, to Habanara, to Nilavali, and back down to Kandy. Now, Asanka is excellent, I cannot recommend him highly enough, he is a safe driver, and this should be no1 priority. You are right, his day rate seems wrong, but this is not because he is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. You need to ask him straight what is going on. Normally he charges circa $50/day, depending on length of trip. As for journey time, it could well be 3.5hrs each way. The secret is to think, well if it is just one day on the road, then maybe that is fine, but it does take a long time to travel around in Sri Lanka because of the design of the roads. The best thing to do, is to build in little trips along the way (Asanka will help). Personally, I didn't really love Kandy, however, I loved the hotel we stayed in Cinamon Citadel, and we used it as a base to visit the hill country which is essential SL. Any specific questions, please ask if you want.

Peter

Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour from Negombo

I think its only $20 as it is just a tour of Negombo which I don't think is very big - may only take half a day. We are also staying in Habarana for a few days - very excited!! Bring on the elephants and amazing food!

10. Re: Day tour from Negombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Negombo