We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

2 posts
Save Topic
48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

Hi all,

I wiil be flying to Negombo along with 5 ppl of my family from 26th July till 28th, appreciate if you could suggest a tours plan, places to go, natures to see, places to eat/food/sweets/frout and shopping markes/malls.

Kindly note that i already bookes in Club Hotel Dolphen for 2 night

Main Fish Market
Flea & Street Markets
Negombo Fish Market
Flea & Street Markets
LUV SL Negombo
Gift & Specialty Shops
DIANA Souvenirs
Gift & Specialty Shops
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

Hi Nabeel

In and around Negombo and the village of Waikkal to its north (where your hotel is situated) there's plenty to see and do.

Take a boat trip up the old Dutch canal, preferably early in the day before it gets too hot, because there is no shade on the boats. This is a great excursion, passing through some pretty rural scenery with lots of wildlife - wading birds, water monitors etc. You may get the chance to see a local toddy tapper at work, shooting up to the top of the coconut palms to harvest the fermented sap which they make into an alcoholic drink.

A ten minute drive from Waikkal takes you into Negombo itself. Visit the fish market by the beach - early in the morning for most activitiy. Negombo town has plenty of general markets and pretty good shopping opportunities. If you want more shopping and bigger stores, Colombo is a further hour's drive south and can be reached by train or bus if you don't have your own vehicle with driver, but as there are 5 of you, it makes sense to hire a driver with a 7/8 seater van for any touring that you want to do.

There's an interesting Buddhist temple to the east of Negombo town called Angurukaramulla which you can visit for a donation.

Just be aware that the donation book that will be produced shows vast sums of money supposedly given by previous visitors .. but they've actually added a few "000's" to the amounts, so if you go there, don't be taken in by that!

The Negombo coastal area is good for birdwatching. Head for the Muthurajawela Wetlands to the south of the town.

Further afield, but still possible to do with a LONG day trip, are places like the popular but touristy Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage.

Another one to consider is whitewater rafting at Kitulgala, situated in a particularly beautiful jungle and mountain region, which is a 3 hour drive or just under, from your hotel. This is the location where the famous movie "Bridge on the River Kwai" was filmed starring Alec Guinness back in the 1950's. It's another great location for birdwatching and there are also some tea plantations to see along this road. Sadly, you don't have long enough to explore the main tea growing area higher in the hill country on this short visit.

I hope this gives you a few ideas for your short stay. Enjoy.

Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

I agree with all of Sue's suggestions although I don't think the elephant orphanage at Pinawella is that long a drive. Roughly about 2 hours each way.

Next door to the orphanage there's another elephant based attraction. The Millenium Elephant Foundation where they don't have so many elephants but you can get to ride one and join it in the river after the ride if you wish.

Also, if culture is your thing you could take a ride a little way north to Chilaw where there's a big Hindu Temple worth a visit.

If you go by train it's a good day.. If you hire a van and driver as Sue has suggested, on the same trip ,you could also fit in an ancient Budhist site.

Regarding the " toddy tapper " if you go on the boat ride, which I do agree is a good trip, and you do step ashore to see the toddy tapper at work, make sure you also visit the moonshine stil , close by in the jungle. Be careful of the illicit moonshine arrack that,s produced there as it's closely related to premiun quality paint stripper. Interesting experience though.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

Thanks alot Sue and Rod will take up your advices for my trip

Appreciate it

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

Muthurajawela - a really interesting place and worth a visit. Take hats to shade from the sun when in the boat. It can be a bit risky just turning up. If you decide to go, get the hotel to call them and book a trip.

If you have a bit of time it is interesting to wander across the bridge near the fish market and follow the road for a few hundred metres to a much bigger bridge. From there you can see the mouth of the lagoon and watch the fishing boats coming in. This area is not touristy and people will be keen to chat to you.

5. Re: 48 hours in Negombo for experts pls help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Negombo