We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk Tuk driver warning

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Tuk Tuk driver warning

I had never ending trouble with these people whilst in Sri Lanka, but in Galle was worse. One guy named Lal, I now know massively overcharged me for some trips I got him to take me on after meeting outside Galle train station. Worst though that without asking he took me to his family home where I had a lot of pressure to help them with money. I was just taken there. Then another tuk driver was meant to take me to Jungle beach but randomly took me to a spice garden where I was told I had to pay even though I never asked to be taken there!!! As a lone female or Anyone....Tuk drivers are all out to con you. Not just in Galle but my experiences worse there.

42 replies to this topic
Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
1. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

Have you complain at tourist police, each TukTuk has a registration number. Easy to remember or better make a selfie from your driver and go than to police.

2. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:48 am, May 18, 2016

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,561 posts
229 reviews
3. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

Well that's comparing apples with pears :-( No way a cab charges 35-40/km, they charge double in case of one-way hires. Only for roundtrip they can reach this, but then one-way tuktuk is Rs 40/km and roundtrip tuktuk is Rs 20-25/km.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

They think us Brits and Europeans are millionaires .

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
5. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

But you know the cost for a TukTuk ? Its round 6 lahks (600.000Rs). If you charge 40Rs/km, your TukTuk have to run 15.000km. (no fuel, no insurance, no service, no income for driver) at this time!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

In my experience Tuk Tuk drivers are not the only ones out to scam you in Sri Lanka. You have to be very careful. Some of the scams have been going on for years under the full knowledge of the authorities and they do nothing about it because tourists are seen as fair game.

Matara, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
265 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

Hello,

All people are not as bad as mentioned above. But there are few. I have seen tourists getting in to trouble by always looking for cheaper things. So my advice is to get to know about the standard prices before you land here. Then use google maps so no one can cheat you.

Has

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
104 reviews
8. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

Well said, Has.

Archi

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
183 reviews
9. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

Ah yes, but what about getting taken to places you don't want to go before money is extorted from you? What about getting overcharged for Tuk Tuks and taxis, getting over charged for entry into official buildings, being scammed by people collecting for "charities", organised beggars and smooth talking con men who will take as much as they can extort from you from? What have these got to do with "looking for cheaper things"?

My wife and I had two great holidays in Sri Lanka. It is a lovely country but the dangers of the scams there should not be under estimated. We experienced attempts at all of the above while there so it is extremely common. We have travelled the world and Sri Lanka is the worst for this in our experience.

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Tuk Tuk driver warning

Galle railways station has had a reputation for TukTuk ripoffs for years. There have been many reports on Trip Advisor - I got caught myself way back in 2006 - usual scam - overcharging, supposedly a "Government recommended TukTuk" which then tries to take you places you didn't ask to go to. There's one guy who works the train coming down from Colombo, walking thro carriages spotting likely victims. He has an official looking card which he shows and tries to get folk to go to the "Government" Tuktuks immediately on arrival in Galle. There's another who walks around Galle station saying to random folk "Don't you remember Me?" - and then offers help with train timetables and, as usual, Tuktuks.

Not all TukTuk drivers are bad in Galle - for example if you have walked around the coast and want to get back to the train or bus station - just pick up a Tuktuk anywhere roadside, and you will find it easy to negotiate a fair price - just be firm, but smile at them.

Reply to: Tuk Tuk driver warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted