We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Galle worth visiting?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
593 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Is Galle worth visiting?

I read somewhere that there is a growing artist and expat community in Galle and that it is an interesting place to spend a few days. I have also read that there is really nothing of interest there except for the fort. I already decided not to stay in the city but to stay at Unawatuna. However, I wonder how much time I should plan to go into Galle and if there are galleries, coffee/tea cafes,etc. I'm not really looking for specific sites, just neighborhoods that may have the above. Any insight will be appreciated.

Longleat

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

Hi,

Galle is worth a visit for a first timer, a half a day trip should do fine there. Galle fort is something of interest including the galleries/museums and also the little coffee places inside..I m sure you will enjoy it.

Treshi.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

I would recomend that you allocate a full day at the Galle Fort. Between 12-4pm, it could be quite warm, unless it is a clowdy day. Try to get there by 6.30am and walk around the deserted streets. Its the best time to take some good photos too. You can have breakfast and then continue your walk until lunch time and maybe rest until about 4pm and resume your walk. You have to amble, in order to really enjoy and soak in the sites and sounds! You can also allocate the 12-4pm time to explore the Maritime Museum and shops like Orchid House, Barefoot etc so that you are away from the heat.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

One full day is totally too much of time to spend in a place like Galle Fort... well I guess its OP's decision after all...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

If you're staying at Unawatuna for few days then you should definitely visit Galle. And by Galle I mean the Galle Fort.

As mentioned above it's best to avoid walking around the place around mid day. The heat and humidity is enough to leave anyone with a bad impression and a tiring memory of the place. The Fort itself is one big neighborhood with a collection of old houses, boutique hotels, restaurants and galleries. In addition to the above, I'd recommend.

1) Gelato at Peddlars

2) Cocktails at the Galle Fort Hotel

3) Dinner at Fortezella , Deco 44 or Printers Cafe

4) Tea or an expensive meal at AmanGalle

5) Breakfast or all day fusion at Crepelogy or La Clochette

And every other small hotel and cafe seem to have its own quirky Gallery

5. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:27 am, October 09, 2013
Edited: 5:27 am, October 09, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

We stayed 2 nights in Galle - 1 wasn't enough, 2 was too much.

I would rather stay in Galle and take a day trip to the beach. Galle was lovely to walk around in the early morning and the evening, but waaay to hot to do anything in the middle of the day.

Galle Fort has a tiny beach, but it is the most polluted thing I have ever seen.

Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

I'm staying in Galle for two days but on the second day I plan to visit Weligima for the beach and sights. I wonder if it's practical. I heard that Galle has the vibe of Penang which I really like. Any day trip tips from Galle would be cherished. Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,102 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

Hi again,

Weligama stilt fishermen are a tourist trap. Beaches like Mirissa or U'tuna might interest you more. See 'day trips from beach resorts' Top Question for more suggestions.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

If you do visit Weligama, you can visit Taprobane Island for a meal, where Count de Mauny-Talvande, a gentlemen of leisure, furniture maker and a descendent of one of Napoleon's Generals made it his home for 30 years and Kushta Raja Gala on the main land.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Galle worth visiting?

I got the bus down to Galle from Hikkaduwa this morning, walked around the Fort area for a couple of hours, that was enough for me. Interestingly enough, virtually no hassle at all whilst walking around, seemed quite strange actually :)

Up to the individual really, how long they want to spend there.

Get answers to your questions about Galle