We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rampart Hotel

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
Rampart Hotel

Did the Padmini Kularatne Murder take place in the Rampart Hotel? I am unble to find any proof, but have heard my family speak of it. I think the house was called Samudragiri at the time.

lawnet.lk/docs/…NLR71V529.htm

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,457 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rampart Hotel

Pfff.... that's a case from before the time that tourism even started in Lanka!

Currently they're only listed in TA as restaurant which is indeed their main business; hotel rooms seem to exist but not advertised seriously. Their own site

http://www.rampart-hotel.com/aboutus.html

does not mention Samudragiri but it's a complex building/business hence still not impossible.

I'm afraid it will be a job for the next planned visitor of the place, also reader of this forum, to help solve your puzzle by asking around...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rampart Hotel

I think tourism started in Sri Lanka with Fa-Hien's visit in 399 AD!!! :-)

Someone who has been in SL a little long should know!

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rampart Hotel

Confirmed this myself! Visited the Fort today with someone who was a guest at Dr. Kularatne's wedding to the deceased!! This is in fact the house.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,457 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rampart Hotel

Nice to know. Well from experience (a few meals) we have not found the food to be haunted, rather ok to the contrary. Hope same applies for the hotel rooms ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rampart Hotel

:-) Well I was hoping for the contrary.... SL doesnt seem to have any haunted hotels to offer to its tourists! :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,457 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rampart Hotel

Well maybe it should not want to. This newly opened place (still needs an entry in TA for reviews)

jdslanka.org/index.php/2012-01-30-09-30-42/h…

should definitely have lots of hauntings around it, sadly. Don't want to dive into politics here, forbidden anyhow in TA, but will be curious to see how it develops...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rampart Hotel

Shall check it out next week when in Jaffna/ Mulativu!

8. Re: Rampart Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 12, 2014