We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Basically, we are toying with staying in Mirissa and doing a day trip to Galle. Is this possible? What time would the last bus from Galle o Mirissa leave? Or if we stayed in Galle, could we day trip to Mirissa (less appealing as we plan to snorkel and will be coming back caked with seawater and sand)?

I think in the end I am just curious how late the buses run between these towns.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,192 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Hi there,

Frequent buses during the day, until 7 PM departure or so. After that they become quite infrequent, 1-2 x per hour if you are lucky.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Very helpful, thanks. Is that true in both directions? Say we got lazy and decided to just hire a taxi back to Mirissa/Galle, if the buses were too infrequent and we weren't ready to leave. How much would that cost, if you know? Can we even get a taxi like that in Mirissa or is it too small (in Indonesia we could always find someone willing to take us for pay, not sure about that or how safe it is in Sri Lanka).

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,192 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Hi again,

For this distance I'd suggest that a tuktuk does the job, and those indeed are available almost 24h.

Something like Rs 1,500 would be the fare for this 45 mins ride...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

A taxi from Galle to Mirissa or vv. would be approx. LKR 2,500-3,000.

There will always be someone, e.g. a tuk tuk driver, that can find a taxi for you.

Hans

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Ok, that's totally within our budget, so it looks like it is totally possible to go to Galle as a day trip from Mirissa rather than staying 2 nights in Galle and just one in Mirissa. Unless anyone would like to share good reasons why staying in Galle would be preferable (nightlife, old town atmosphere?)...

Wish we had more time but this is what we could get for Chinese New Year (based in Taipei).

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

By "nightlife" I mean cafes or cozy bars open past 8pm for a nice beer or two, not crazy nightclubs, by the way. We're not party people.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

Mirrisa has pretty much only on the beach casual restaurants to offer, and those come packed next to each other all competing for customers. Galle has some amazing old buildings within the fort with some fine dinning and laid back cafes. Your choice, but I know which one I'd choose.

8. Re: Bus times for day trips - Galle, Mirissa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 07, 2014