We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri lanka trip

Jeddah, Makkah...
7 posts
Save Topic
Sri lanka trip

Hi,

I m travelling next September to Sri-Lanka (I always prefer to plan my travels early to be able to get good deals). My plan is as follows:

1- Stay in Bentotta for 2 nights (visit also Hikkaduwa from there

2- Go from Bantota to Adam's peak, by a car with a driver, to stay one night there, can anyone recommend a place to stay there? is there any lightening on Adam's peak in September?

3 - then go to Kandy by car, where it will be my base to visit Pinnawalla (by train, then car), ella (train) , Kithulgala temple (train), Dambulla temple (car) and Sigiriya rock fortess (car).

4- During my stay in kandy, i ll go to Yala park to stay one night there to be able to do Safari there. I m not sure if it is possible to do this without staying one night in Yala and if it can be handled by driving from Kandy with a driver as i think it will cost me more money and it will tiring. (i can also take a train to a station near yala then go by car to Yala)

5- stay in colombo for one night or two

Please advise me if my plan make sense or if there is a better way to handle the chronological order of cities knowing that i want that my first two nights be on the beach as it is my honeymoon

Special Offer
8-Day Sri Lanka Classic Tour
8 reviews
from $599.00*
$699.00
Galle Full-Day Tour
13 reviews
from $130.00*
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri lanka trip

Hi !

It might be less tiring and easier to go to Yala from Adams Peak or Bentota, or even from Ella (the closest point in your travels to Yala).

This sort of trip would be best if you do plan well ahead.

At Adams Peak, try the Yellow House or Punsisi, for accommodation.

No railway station near Yala, unless you count Matara.

Charles.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri lanka trip

Adams Peak is out of season in September, i.e. no lightning and no shops. Generally should also not be visited due to wild life breeding season and bad weather.

Hans

Jeddah, Makkah...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri lanka trip

what about my plan, is it ok? or it can be improved?

another question, they have riding elephants in Pinnawala, near the orphanage, right?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri lanka trip

Well, I would first go to Cultural Triangle. Then Kandy followed by Hill Country (Ella) and Yala. Finishing off the tour along the south and west coast.

In September the sea will likely be too rough for swimming.

Any special reason why you want to visit Kitulgala Temple? Kitulgala is known for white water rafting. Nearest railway station is approx. 20 km away.

Unless you are into shopping I would drop Colombo.

You can ride elephants at Millennium Foundation at Pinnawala (not at Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage). There are also some guys offering elephant rides along the road. I find the elephant rides at Habarana and Sigiriya much better.

Hans

Jeddah, Makkah...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri lanka trip

in fact, my main reason to go to kitulgala is for rafting (is it possible to do rafting in september?)

for shopping, is kitulgala better then colombo?

And regarding Elephant riding, i want a ride to be in forest and maybe over rivers, this kind of ride

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri lanka trip

Shopping at Kitulgala?! You'll be lucky. It is just a small village and the only shops are ones selling basic provisions like biscuits and water.

You can certainly do rafting there though, as that is available year round. Having done it myself, I can highly recommend it, both for beginners such as myself (it was not half as scary as I'd feared..) or for experienced rafters further up river.

Your best bet for an elephant ride is, as Hans suggests, at either Habarana or Sigiriya in the Cultural Triangle. You should have a separate stay in this area to the one at Kitulgala. At Habarana, an hour long ride will take you along the side of the tank (lake) with beautiful scenery and much wildlife to see along the way. At one point, the elephant descends into the water and breathes out of its trunk which is held high out of the water. You remain dry on the elephant's back and it is great fun.

Sue

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri lanka trip

Reading your earlier posts, I see you were hoping to visit Yala, which is well out of the way for your particular tour.

If you are visiting the Cultural Triangle for Sigiriya, Dambulla and the elephant riding that I've already described, consider doing a jeep safari at Minneriya National Park instead. It is in the same area and during September, you will have a chance to see "The Gathering". This is the name given to the spectacle of often very large herds of wild elephants that gather at the watering hole clearing in the park. There is no better time of year to visit Minneriya, nor to see so many elephants at once.

Sue

Jeddah, Makkah...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri lanka trip

The Safari in Yala as i read is not only for elephants, i ll see many kind of animals such as leopards.... is it the same in Minneriya park?

Anything else that i missed and i must it in Sri Lanka?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri lanka trip

Minneriya is mainly elephants and birds plus a few monkeys and crocs.

When you are in Yala/Tissamaharama area you should also visit the temple complex at Kataragama. Best time to visit is from around 6 pm for the evening pooja.

Hans

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri lanka trip

Hi

Your plan is confused. I will suggest proper way.

01) Negombo First (02 night's)

02) Polonnaruwa / Anuradapura ancient cities or Sigiriya rock. (02 night's)

03) Dambulla cave temple / kandy (01-02 night's)

04) Adam's peak (01 night )

[September is out of season but people are climbing ]

05) Nuwaraeliya / Ella (01 night )

(Tran journey is possible Nanu oya to Ella 12.30 p.m)

06) Thissamaharamaya(Yala) (01 night )

07) Mirissa / Hikkaduwa or Bentota ( Beaches ) (2-3 night's )

08) Colombo (01 night )

08) Air port Departure.

Thank's

Janka ruwan.