We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best driving routes and time frames

pa
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
best driving routes and time frames

I am going to Sri Lanka soon and have to travel quite a bit. I am trying to figure out the best and quickest routes to save on time. From Galle, I need to drive to Anuradhapura but am afraid it will be too grueling of a trip. If it is best to spend the night somewhere where should I spend it? Please take in consideration that after our 1 week in Anuradhapura we will be spending time in Kandy and Nuwara Eliya and I prefer not to go there twice.

1) From Galle, I need to drive to Anuradhapura. Is it feasible to do in one day? If so, do we drive inland or do we drive back up to Colombo and go from there? How long is the drive approximatly?

2) If we stay in Colombo, how long is the drive from Galle to Colombo and then Colombo to anuradhapura?

3) What if we drove from Galle to Dambulla or Sigiriya? How long are those drives? And would we drive back to Colombo and then head inland or would we go inland from Galle?

Thanks so much in advance.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best driving routes and time frames

Hi,

1) Galle - Anuradhapura via Colombo and Puttalam is approx. 320 km and should take 8-9 hours.

2) Galle - Colombo is approx. 120 km and should take 3-4 hours. Colombo - Anuradhapura is approx. 200 km and should take about 5 hours.

3) Galle - Dambulla is approx. 260 km and should take about 7 hours. Add 25 km - 45 mins to Sigiriya. Some drivers will take you via Colombo, others will cross over from Waskaduwa to Pasyala.

There are really no good roads going inland from Galle. You will have to drive north along the coast at least until just north of Kalutara.

Hans

pa
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best driving routes and time frames

thank you so much! I have some more questions if you are able to answer them.

1) Driving distance from: Anuradhapura to Ella

2) Anuradhapura to Nuwara Eliya

3) Nuwara Eliya to Adams Peak

4) Nuwara Eliya to Airport in colombo

Also, would you happen to know where the tea trails (hotel) is in relation to Kandy and Nuwara Eliya.

Can you recommend a very nice hotel or bungalow to stay in in Nuwara Eliya?

Thank you again....I appreciate your help and time!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best driving routes and time frames

1) 272 km - 169 miles

2) 216 km - 134 miles

3) 72 km - 45 miles

4) 149 km - 93 miles

The Tea Trails bungalows are Maskeliya about 16 km - 10 miles south of Hatton (45 km - 25 miles west of Nuwara Eliya - 71 km - 44 miles south of Kandy)

I have never stayed there, but Heritance Tea Factory is know to be the best hotel in Nuwara Eliya - well is about 12 km - 7.5 miles outside.

Hans

Edited: 7:37 pm, May 30, 2011
Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best driving routes and time frames

Afraid in Nuwara Eliya there are no really top class hotels. The Grand is not so but OK if you want to experience rather faded colonial grandeur, even more so the Hill Club. The Tea Factory is a converted tea factory a little way out of NE but worth the drive. The views are stunning,especially from the rooms on the upper floors. This Aitken Spence property has fairly recently been upgraded to Heritance status so should be of a good standard.

Tea Trails bungalows are unbeatable. My favourites are Castelreagh for the lake views and Norwood which has a stunning garden and lovely bedrooms - I think Andrews is the best, it is the one you see on the website on the Norwood bungalow page, large four poster and a lovely little terrace.

Enjoy,

David.

Colombo
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best driving routes and time frames

You can use the following link to calculate the kms.

www.thinknet.lk/sri_lanka/distance_finder.php

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best driving routes and time frames

Above link is generally a good tool, but be aware that all distance finders also have errors, e.g. Negombo-Habarana = 63 km?

Hans

7. Re: best driving routes and time frames

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Galle