We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galle to Colombo - public transport

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Galle to Colombo - public transport

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the bus or the train is more convenient travelling from Galle to Colombo. Some questions that I hope you can help me with....

* Is either mode of transport better to be avoided on a Saturday - too crowded etc?

* Taking my mother in law (her first time in SL) and want to make sure she has a seat whether it's train or bus (hence the question on crowding). My hubby and I will be okay standing if necessary.

* I believe you can't pre-book seats on the Colombo to Galle train... is that correct?

* The trip should take about 4 hours max - is that a correct estimate?

* Where do you catch the bus from - and how regular is the service?

Any info would be of great help including times of departure if anyone has any recent times available.

Cheers

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,458 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

Hi Cheers,

Not very easy to decide.

* Trains give good chance of seat IF you are at Galle station 30 mins before departure time. Then the train rolls in from Matara for a change of direction; arriving later means all seats grabbed.

* AC express buses have a guaranteed seat. No leg space and no walking options though, even the aisle is crammed with fold-out seats.

* No train seat booking, indeed

* Both formally take 3 hours. Traffic jams or railway troubles on average cost at least 30 mins extra.

* Buses leave from Galle bus station opposite railway station. Leave when full, generally every 10-15 mins

Additionally, at least almost all of 2011 the train has works; 'real soon now' Galle to Hikkaduwa stretch will be closed and replaced by railway bus service. So quite likely, you won't have any choice to make anyhow and bus is the option...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

Hi

I always use the bus for that stretch. You shouldn't have any problem getting a seat if you start from Galle station. The problem with a seat comes when you join the bus somewhere along the route, as it fills up very quickly after leaving the main stations of Galle or Colombo.

I have not found that the buses wait until full to leave, as people are joining the bus all the time. But that also means that some are getting off too, so if you get on the bus somewhere along the route and can't get a seat, one often becomes free at some stage. However, if you are picking it up at Galle station, you'll get seats.

Sue

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

Thanks for all that information!

Can you also tell me what time the first bus leaves and the last bus leaves please.

ta

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

approximate times will be fine!! :o)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,458 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

Hi there,

'Daytime' schedule between 6 AM depart and 9 PM arrive (5-6 PM departing). After that a very limited evening-night schedule.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

Thanks Erik and Sandya - you're a fount of info!! have really appreciated your help with other's questions too.

7. Re: Galle to Colombo - public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:52 am, May 17, 2012