We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
beach

please could someone let me know what the beach is like at the Lighthouse Hotel & Spa hotel, near Galle, Sri Lanka. Is it safe to swim and is it sandy. The only pictures I have seen are all of a rocky beach with only sections of sand.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,517 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach

Hi there,

The pictures are right. However only a few hundred meters away the big long stretches of sandy beach start, more or less undisturbed by other tourists as it's the only hotel nearby.

In the November-March timeframe usually it is very safe to swim. During the other months the west monsoon winds cause currents which make it less safe, usually bathing is the only option in that period.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 pm, July 18, 2006
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beach

Hi,

sorry to pour cold water on the Polhenna idea.

I have friends who live in Polhenna and I know it well so wouldn't knock it without reason.

However, Polhenna was always a bit stony around the water line and since the tsunami it is covered with lots of broken coral.

Anyone who's tried walking on broken coral will tell you, it's not very comfortable on your feet.

Far better beaches along this stretch of the south coast, Ahangama if you wanna be near to Galle.

Mirissa if you wanna be in the middle and lots of great beaches around Dikwella and Tangalle. I particularly like the lovely beach at Nilwella.

Rod.

Polhena
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach

Polhena itself is broken coral...you're right...but if you walk about 300 yards towards Madiha village, there is no problem and the beach is beautiful and quiet. Polhena suffered badly with the Tsunami which did affect ir but the next village further along suffered lightly by comparison because of the sea shelf.

Mirissa is beautiful but full of bus loads of tourists...equally Ahangama...impossible to surf there now because there are too many people trying to surf in the same small area.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach

I just returned from Mirissa over a long weekend - no buses of tourists in sight (in fact I don't remember seeing any tourist buses in the whole country). The place was pure tranquility, but the candlelit restaurants along the beach were quietly busy at night from the guest house residents.

Get answers to your questions about Galle