We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thalpe and Illuketia

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Thalpe and Illuketia

Firstly thank you to all the regular posters who take the time and trouble to answer so many of the questions posed - its really appreciated, sorry if it seems we sometimes take you for granted!.

I am intending to stay for a couple of weeks (early Sept) at the two Appa Villa properties situated at Thalpe on the the beach and inland at Illuketia. Can anyone tell me whether there are any beach or other restaurants in close proximity to either of these locations. If you have any personal knowledge of either areas I would be interested to know what you thought. I'm OK with the "Hotels" (thanks to TA) but would really like to know more about the areas. Is swimming at Thalpe likely to be OK in Sept?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,102 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thalpe and Illuketia

Hi there,

You're basically talking about the beach stretch between Unawatuna and Koggala. It has the odd restaurant in between the villas and few guesthouses, but for a wide choice you'd really need to take the bus or tuktuk to Unawatuna.

Swimming is not safe in the open-sea beach areas there outside the high season. Unawatuna and Polhena-Matara of course have beaches shielded by reefs and hence year-round swimsafe, I am not aware of other parts having this quality but I might be incomplete.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dubai
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thalpe and Illuketia

have a look at the frangipani tree (www,thefrangipanitree.com) which is a recently opened beach place on the same stretch as Apa villa but with a better beach and possibly the best food on the island. It is walking distance from Apa on beach but you do have to book for dinner in advance. The staff at Apa will do it or just walk over and have a look at the menu and order for dinner. The other place within 20 minutes tuk tuk ride is The Fortress which has a large menu but food is hit and miss. They do have good pizzas when they are using the wood fired oven. In Galle fort, there is Amangalla which has a limited menu and expensive for ordinary food. Galle Fort Hotel does Asian fusion which if you have had Asian food before is really ordinary and inconsistent. Fort Printers hotel which is owned by the same people as the Frangipani Tree has excellent food but again you will have to book in advance for food from menu, otherwise you will get the set menu which is usually fresh fish or jumbo prawns with great tuna starter.

I have heard (but not tried) that Apa does good rice and curries.

I hope the above helps. If you are a foodie like me, you will like the food at The Frangipani.

Best

3. Re: Thalpe and Illuketia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Galle