We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my first trip to Sri Lanka

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning my first trip to Sri Lanka

Hello,

I am planning my first trip to Sri Lanka (Apri 2006) for about three weeks. Just myself.

While I am still looking at ideas and will change my mind many times before I book I am looking at a week in Kalutara and a week in the Galle/Unawatuna area and then maybe a few days in the Kandy area.

The hotels that I am looking at are the Tangerine Beach Resort in Kalutara and the Unawatuna Beach resort.

What I want to avoid is a trip where I spend most of my time with other tourist. I mean what is the point of going to another country and then spending all your time around other tourist.

If anyone can provide any ideas I would love to hear them

regards

James

South Yorkshire
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my first trip to Sri Lanka

Hi,

Im not familiar with Galle and Kalutara but would definately recommend the few days in Kandy together with a trip to Sigiriya. The views are amazing, although its best to get up there before the heat sets in. I would highly recommend the Sharon Inn in Kandy. Its a great price, very clean with helpful friendly owners. I went in February to do aid work with a charity called AidCamps, and had an amazing time. If you dont want to go as a tourist, how about as a volunteer? Its not all work as htey take you out on some cultural trips at the weekends. I think there is a project to Sri Lanka for 3weeks with them next February.

http://www.aidcamps.org

Im returning to Sri Lanka in a few weeks with them again and we shall be travelling in the south more!

Last time we passed through Kalutara on the train, and it was flattened by the tsunami, but i should think by next april you wont have anything to worry about.

Have a great trip

Caroline

New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my first trip to Sri Lanka

I have been to Sri Lanka many times. I highly recommend staying in Colombo first and getting an apartment at Crescat Residences. This place is like a resort in the heart of COlombo. You get all the benefits of the Colombo Plaza hotel which is in the same complex along with a shopping mall, spa, pools and so much more including dry cleaning on premise, salons, and grovery store. All across from the ocean and the food is amazing with many choices of restaurants at this complex. Then I would take a trip to Galle and stay at the Lighthouse. An experience you will never forget. I would also take the trip to Sigirya but you must stay at the Kandalama resort. It is out of a dream. A hotel built into th mountain. The food is unbeliveable and the infinity pool is stunning. This is a must!

sri lanka
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my first trip to Sri Lanka

Hi James

If you dont like to spend your time with the other tourists, which mean you like to have your own driver with the car. if you interested we can prepare a very good tour programme. interested pls write najeeb@euroasiantravel.com

Have a nice Holiday in Sri Lanka..

Best

Jeep